paranoia

ju8ular1

hi,

im usually a little paranoid about turning apache off once i start surfing the web. since the local server address is 127.0.0.0, can a prying eye actually telnet or browse to port 80 on my IP address, and view the contents of my .htdocs?

if so, whats a quick but effective workaround for this? if not, can someone remotely activate it, provided im online?

pls forward any relevant articles/resource links if you have any.

• 4 months later...
Is your server configured to public traffic, or can you only access it from localhost? 127.0.0.1 is an address internal to every machine. There is no way somebody could access your machine with that address.

Now if you have a public IP address assigned to your machine and it is running on the public domain, then of course it is subject to getting hacked. On the internet NOTHING is completely safe, for most developers and admins, getting hacked is just a part of life. If you stop apache, all you are doing is uncommitting port 80 to the apache service and quitting the service itself. It usually doesn't matter whether or not the port is in use, to an experienced cracker, it is all the same. Also remember, there are over 60,000 other ports they could try and use.

I don't mean to try and scare you, it just sounds like your being paranoid for nothing. Again, if apache is only running on localhost, you have little to worry about. Your internet connection (out) runs on port 8080 btw, not the same one as apache.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.