how do u pronounce mysql?

mybluehair

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same topic here:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,154191.0.html

I think that acronyms that have no vowels should be pronounced (in most of the cases) by reading out the letters (SQL, HTML, PHP, JS, CSS etc'). Other thing like ASP or IP are also read letter-by-letter, but I think that's because they have only one syllable, so it will sound stupid if someone reads out "asp" or "ip".

But things like AJAX and other stuff that have enough vowels to be readable and have more than one syllable, sound ok when you read them. Or am I the only one that reads out AJAX?  ::):D

So I read it "My S Q L".

Orio.

Same topic here:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,154191.0.html

I think that acronyms that have no vowels should be pronounced (in most of the cases) by reading out the letters (SQL, HTML, PHP, JS, CSS etc'). Other thing like ASP or IP are also read letter-by-letter, but I think that's because they have only one syllable, so it will sound stupid if someone reads out "asp" or "ip".

But things like AJAX and other stuff that have enough vowels to be readable and have more than one syllable, sound ok when you read them. Or am I the only one that reads out AJAX?  ::):D

So I read it "My S Q L".

Orio.

Agreed.

HERE IS WHAT I KNOW

squerel

MYSQL

but my mentor told us the better way of pronouncing it  is

MY SEEK WELL

because on the readings /research he had sql main function is to search and it does provide seeking data well and many books claim that my seek well is the right pronunciation

The official way to pronounce “MySQL” is “My Ess Que Ell” (not “my sequel”), but we don't mind if you pronounce it as “my sequel” or in some other localized way.

From: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/what-is-mysql.html

I dont know where your mentor gets his information, but, im sorry, its wrong. AFAIK, pretty much the only two pronunciations ever used are either My Ess Que Ell (e.g. My S-Q-L) or My Sequel.

It's annoying when some people try to spell thing's out instead of saying them as they were ment to be said. SQL is short for "Structured Query Language" like you don't already know^^ If making a word out of these 3 letters is so important to you than just say "my ess cue-ell" it sounds right lol or "Structured Query Language" that would be right, right? And so far from the videos I watched it's only Americans that do this :P I think I just started world war 3!^^

The British say "data" differently, British pronounce it like both A's are uppercase and Americans pronounce it like both A's are lowercase. The correct way to say it is dAtA making it sound like both A's are uppercase :P

British: 1

USA:    0

:P

And this wasn't an attack on Americans! you're free to attack me back^^

The British say "data" differently, British pronounce it like both A's are uppercase and Americans pronounce it like both A's are lowercase. The correct way to say it is dAtA making it sound like both A's are uppercase :P

While I don't know what you mean by "sound like uppercase", I do know that there are two different pronunciations of "data" - but I also know that both pronunciations are perfectly acceptable. There are dozens of words that are pronounced differently in en-US and en-GB, but that doesn't mean that one is any more correct than the other.

And I couldn't help but notice that I used the ISO abbreviations for the languages instead of typing them out... that's got to be indicative of something.

I do know that there are two different pronunciations of "data"

After further research, every dictionary I've looked in says that there are actually three:

• dā'tə - I hear this one most often. The first a is pronounced as in "same".
  • dă'tə - I hear this very often, but not as often as the first. The first a is pronounced as in "match".
  • dä'tə - I have never heard this one. The first a is pronounced as in "arm".

Interestingly enough, I began with calling MySQL by the common "My S-Q-L" pronunciation, but I have fallen into the "My Sequel" pronunciation in the last few years. I believe it began when I was working primarily with PostgreSQL for my last job. It's a bit easier to say "Postgre Sequel" than to break it up into "Postgre S-Q-L," so that pronunciation sort of carried over into my other SQL versions, too.

If you are going to spell out acronyms then you are going to have major problems saying recursive acronyms like PHP and Wine.

Not really. Just don't recurse them.

P H P

W I N E

Duh, how will the problem of not being able to spell it out be solved by not doing it? This is how, explained with PHP code, spelling out acronyms works:

<?php
function spell_out_acronyms($text, array $acronyms = array())
{
$found_again = false;
foreach($acronyms as $acronym => $spelled_out)
{
	$text = str_replace($acronym, $spelled_out, $text);
	if(strpos($acronym, $text) !== false) $found_again = true;
}

return $found_again ? spell_out_acronyms($text, $acronyms) : $text;
}

echo spell_out_acronyms("PHP is a scripting language.\nThe headquaters of the CIA is located in Langley, Virginia.", array('PHP'=>'PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor', 'CIA'=>'Central Intelligence Agency'));
?>

As you see, CIA, which is not a recursive acronym, can be spelled out without any problems, but PHP, which is a recursive acronym, is not possible to fully spell out. Therefore it is neither linguistically nor programmatically possible to spell recursive acronyms out.

If you were to spell it out linguistically then you would never stop talking. Programmatically the script/program would never end.

Won't work, if your way of pronouncing acronyms work by spelling them out then it's impossible to pronounce recursive acronyms.

Take this for example:

PHP is a reflective programming language originally designed for producing dynamic web pages.[1] PHP is used mainly in server-side scripting' date=' but can be used from a command line interface or in standalone graphical applications.[/quote']

Even if you change the first PHP to PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor, then you will again have PHP, which when you spell it out again will result in having PHP. Sure, you could just say P-H-P, but then you wouldn't have spelled it out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.