how do u pronounce mysql?

mybluehair

Y is used as a vowel, pronounced as an I in English pronunciations.
Mmm. Okay. Gonna play with my yo-yo brb. By the way, do you do any yoga? And do you eat any yellow foods?

I'm going to have to side with Azu, obsidian... can you provide some examples where a y sounds like a long (as in wine) or short (as in fish) i? I can think of plenty where it sounds like a long e, but none of the former two.

Edit: I just thought of a name that uses y as a long i (Kyle), but I'm not sure if names count in this context.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to side with Azu, obsidian... can you provide some examples where a y sounds like a long (as in wine) or short (as in fish) i? I can think of plenty where it sounds like a long e, but none of the former two.

Edit: I just thought of a name that uses y as a long i (Kyle), but I'm not sure if names count in this context.

I don't have time to go looking now, but a short "i" sound is found in words like eucalyptus.

Oh, and how about long I as in fly, bye and sky?

Here you go:

synthetic

mystical

rhythm

physical

cylinder

The list goes on...

I don't have time to go looking now, but a short "i" sound is found in words like eucalyptus.

Oh, and how about long I as in fly, bye and sky?

Good enough. :) As long as one counterexample exists, then the rule is broken. The rule being "y can't sound like i", in this case.

Ah, the crazy words that make it into the dictionary... :-\

No kidding. Ok, I can admit defeat, you guys win :P

I can live with wizywig and maybe goo-e (though I probably won't be able to say those without a big smurk on my face), both of witch apparently made it to the dictionary, but I refuse to say sequel.

In either case, anyone who complains about any part of this either:

A) Just likes to complain

B) Is fortunate enough in life to not have anything real to complain about

Put me down in the first category ;)

[...], but I refuse to say sequel.

(My) sequel sounds stupid too and the official way of saying MySQL is to say "my" and then the letters:

The official way to pronounce “MySQL” is “My Ess Que Ell” (not “my sequel”)

If things have an official way of saying it or it's in a dictionary then that's the way I'll pronounce it.

No kidding. Ok, I can admit defeat, you guys win :P

Nah, don't need to admit defeat. You've got good arguments, and besides, I'm not saying that the English pronunciation of things is the right way, just that it's valid ;) lol.

I can live with wizywig and maybe goo-e (though I probably won't be able to say those without a big smurk on my face), both of witch apparently made it to the dictionary, but I refuse to say sequel.

While I say "sequel" for SQL, I still agree that, although the other two words are acceptable and I do say them, they still sound rather silly heh.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.