dreamweaver and absolute links

if you have already saved the document it should set it up correctly, check thru all of your settings and preferences to make sure everything is correct and also when you are adding links and images at the bottom of the dialog box there is an option stating \"Relative To:\", set this to document and not root..

see if any of that helps

BS :D

The other posts pretty muched summed up the issue, however I figured I\'d post a little bit more info. With all of my experiences in the past with dreamweaver, it seems to me that it has quite a few problems when it comes to linking, especially those that are not definite. It has a tendancy to add slashes where they shouldn\'t be. I once spent two hours trying to find out why my css wasn\'t working when in fact dreamweaver decided to add a / before the link that I had put in to this style sheet. Dreamweaver can be aggravating when it comes to links

Just a thought

• 2 weeks later...

i dont mean to sound horrible but one of the main reasons for me hating programs like dreamweaver is becuase of things like that. (adding extra code etc.)

its a pain in the arse, just uninstall it and get a decent book and start writing your own damn code. oops a bit of a harsh tone there, but its what i feel. before i get slagged off for saying that, do realise that ive used dreamweaver for years, obtained a diploma in using it and now hate it. i havent used it for over 18 months now, and can never see me ever using such a program again...

WYSIWYG editors spoil the learning process, un-necessary tags, extra code, and generally extra shite thats not really needed just serves to confuse people that are really trying to learn, its crazy.

ok thats enough of that for now...

• 1 month later...

Use root based links. You do not have to worry about the location of the files, and it makes the documents portable within the site. So all you images would have the location for instance imagesimage.ext that way regardless of the location it can find the file. The best way to set this up is to browse for the file or image from the page and when you select it, in the dialog box select relative to the root instead of the document.

chap - I agree. Dreamweaver has it\'s place in the world I\'m sure, but there is NOTHING comparable to a solid text editor with syntax highlighting and a sound knowledge of what the heck you\'re doing.

I wrestled with DMX for weeks and went back to the text editor.

I generally recommend HTML-Kit (http://www.htmlkit.com) - free and feature-rich. The extensions add a great deal of power to it.

I had found DMX handy for doing PHP/mySQL connections at first, but annoying in the end. It\'s better to learn SQL yourself and write your own queries.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.