what does \f do when surrounded by double quotes?

emehrkay

I just installed php5.2.5 on a server and I am porting over an old script. Every time there is an \f surrounded by double quotes in one of the include/require paths, there is a blank space causing the include/require call to fail.

What does it do and can I turn that off in the ini somehow?

require_once(CLASS_PATH."lms\schema\faculty_dao.php");

I know it doesnt need the parens, I didnt write it. The only way for me to get these to work is if I go through the source and change the double quotes to single and I really shouldnt have to do that.

Any ideas? Is there something in the INI? This is the frist time that i've really installed/tweaked php and the ini file.

The slashes are around the wrong way. They either need to be escaped or turned around.

require_once(CLASS_PATH."lms\\schema\\faculty_dao.php");

require_once(CLASS_PATH."lms/schema/faculty_dao.php");

Seems it may be some windows thing as windows uses backward slashes. There may be a setting that fixes this, but I'm not sure.

Oh ok it is a formfeed. I was just wondering if there was a setting somewhere that allowed for it to be used, because on one server \f works as expected. On this new install it gives me the blank/box space.

From here on out I can recommend that single quotes, along with no php short tags [two things i've found during this new install], not be used anymore, but right now changing them all is not an option.

Thanks for the help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.