MSN IM Hyperlink

The Little Guy

umm, we just said it worked in firefox so why ask again? Of course it works in IE
works in IE...
Ah ok, well I read the thing and I didn't see that it works in Firefox too.

Here's a question, does it work in Firefox, IE

No need to take apart what I said and leave parts missing from the quotes to make it look like I was saying something else.

I actually said:

Here's a question, does it work in Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, Netscape, Flock etc. ? If not then it's still not so great is it?

Now I realize I put Firefox and IE again even though it had already been established that it worked in those browsers... what I should have said is:

Here's a question, does it work in  Opera, Safari, Netscape, Flock etc. as well as Firefox and IE? If not then it's still not so great is it?

I just messed up what I said... I know what I meant, can we just leave this to rest? I go to enough forums where enough people start more than enough arguments to keep me going 'til I'm 62, thanks. ;)

You guys sure it works on Firefox? From the link you posted here are a few quotes...

You could just put the link in IE conditional statements to hide it from all the other browsers... that way you don't have to worry about users that use Firefox etc being able to even click the link to get an error:

<!--[if IE]>

<a href="msnim:chat?contact=MessengerBloggers@hotmail.com">Chat with me!</a>

<![endif]-->

About making the "msnim:chat" work in Firefox:

If only you could give an msn-username as a parameter when launching the program file (msnmsgr.exe), then you could configure Firefox via about:config to start a conversation, when clicking a msnim:chat link.

The procedure would be something like described in the 2006 -05-01post on:

http://www.basecamphq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1758

Hope this can be of any help to you...

Yes, the whole "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (msnim) isn't associated with any program" thing is pretty irritating.  I've looked everywhere for a way 2fix/script it but it seems to be a "no clue" for just about every 1 I've talked to.  If any1 finds a solution, please tell the world...

It Works! But IE only!

You sure it works in Firefox? I tried it and I get the following:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (msnim) isn't associated with any program.

I scoured through that topic/blog post/whatever and I can't find any information on how to get it working for Firefox.

You sure it works in Firefox? I tried it and I get the following:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (msnim) isn't associated with any program.

I scoured through that topic/blog post/whatever and I can't find any information on how to get it working for Firefox.

Exactly, and that's because Windows Live Messenger doesn't configure Firefox to associate itself with that protocol - at least not as far as I know. If you install something like Pidgin then it will. Likewise will XChat associate itself with the irc protocol.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.