Some help

LemonInflux

Hello, I'm a new linux user, and I'd just like to ask a few questions;

First of all: What are the good php/html/js/css etc. programs (for writing, that is) in linux? I've discovered dreamweaver (my windows version) doesn't work, because .exe's don't. So yeah, are there any good (preferably free) linux development tools?

XAMPP. Best option for setting up a local server? I have it for windows, but is it the best solution for linux?

Beryl, I believe it's called. The cube-style desktop. How is that achieved?

Very greatful for any help,

Tom.

1/ I use vim as my editor.

2/ I would recommend installing apache, php and mysql individualy. On Debian I used....

apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork php5 php5-cli php5-sqlite php5-mysql mysql-server xml-core

Should be much the same on Ubuntu (which I believe your using).

3/ Ive no experience using Beryl. I believe you need a high end video card and plenty of ram. Best to google for some tuts.

4/ Your going to have a hard time installing anything without an internet connection.

5/ Wine could be installed using....

apt-get install wine

and the /opt foler is in /

1. Is it free?

2. Ok, and that'll install everything?

3. I was just wondering. Have seen it, was wondering if it was any good.

4. I'm getting a temp. wired one; was going to use the wired one to get Wine to install my wireless (.exe install :/)

5. Thanks, I'll get it a go when I've sorted the internet.

I think Beryl is called Compiz Fusion now. I think it merged with something (probably Compiz). It's installed by default in Ubuntu 7.10 and is enabled under Preferences -> Appearance. You probably need to install some video card drivers. For me that would be

aptitude install nvidia-glx-new

(if I remember correctly).

I have 7.04.

Also, just out of interest;

I had an idea to hook up my wireless to the linux. Basically, my wireless is all windows (.exe setup for the adapter and stuff), so I thought that if I wired the internet (doesn't require setup), downloaded Wine, then used that to install the wireless, would that work? Would I have to view the internet in Wine?

Ok, possibly ridiculously simple question; how do you unzip things via the terminal? whenever I try, it says the folder can't be found. Is there a certain place I need to download it to? :/

What type of file are you working with, and what command are you running to unpack it? What error message, exactly, are you getting?

You still haven't provided any specifics. How do you expect us to know what exactly is going wrong? There are probably a dozen kinds of "extracting" - plain tar, tar with gzip, tar with bzip, plain gzip, plain bzip, rar, 7z, zip, and those are just the ones that I can think of off of the top of my head. There is no universal command that will work with all types of these. You need to give us some specifics.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.