Skin System

xenooreo

I've looked around everywhere on the internet, but there seems to be very few guides on how to make a decent skin system for you site.
Now obviously it's not any small feat, but still. It seems like a fairly popular thing, I would've hoped that I would have been able to find something. At the moment I have a PHP script which simply switches the CSS stylesheet and stores which one you're using in a cookie, but that's not really good enough :P

If I was to make a skin system for my site, where would I begin?

I personally think using css is the best way to skin a site.

Once you have some good css behind you then you can pretty do what you want. Having looked at a couple of of the shelf php aps like osdate and joomla I think the system they use is awful.

If you need inspiration on the potential of css then visit css zen garden.

Yup... they've done some pretty amazing stuff with CSS at the CSS Zen Garden :P

The one thing I like about the Joomla type system is you can use different HTML for the different templates. Hmmm... I have always wondered how the system on something like Cutenews works.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.