free result or close

jcombs_31

[!--quoteo(post=366862:date=Apr 20 2006, 11:39 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 20 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]366862[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I never use them. It's closed automatically for you at the end of script execution, so why bother?
[/quote]

that's what I thought, so why even have them? I don't understand the purpose or usage...

[!--quoteo(post=366869:date=Apr 20 2006, 04:56 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Apr 20 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]366869[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
that's what I thought, so why even have them? I don't understand the purpose or usage...
[/quote]

i might be guessing - i actually have mysql_free_result but only cos it's the way i learnt and just stuck with it out of habit - but wouldn't it make all the difference with say, for example, a large script that deals with large tables on a high traffic site? surely freeing up a result would take the load of the server a little? all the manual really states is that its to be used if youre worried about memory when dealing with large results.

as for mysql_close - not a clue.

The only case I could imagine is if you were dealing with more than one DBMS and you wanted to close one and open another. *shrug* I've just never dealt with anything that big (although I might soon at work... they want me to graph some test results with 10Hz data... 2 tests with 12000 records each compared on one graph!)

[!--quoteo(post=366969:date=Apr 20 2006, 08:24 PM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ Apr 20 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]366969[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think you should be using mysql_close() when opening persistent connections with mysql_pconnect() as I don't [i]think[/i] they close themself...
[/quote]

according to the manual, it appears that mysql_close is used for non-persistent connections:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Note: mysql_close() will not close persistent links created by mysql_pconnect().
[/quote]and

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Using mysql_close() isn't usually necessary, as non-persistent open links are automatically closed at the end of the script's execution.
[/quote]

does make you wonder though, how much coding gets done that isn't that necessary...how many other functions are like this and not required, etc...
still.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.