php and databasing

Ninjakreborn

I have learnt a few new things about databasing but I had some questions.
I have heard at www.w3schools.com that ms access was a database that should only used for small type databases, I have though talked to a few sql exprts, and they said they use data for everything, even huge massive databases with thousands and thousands of entrys. If there is a reason to not use msaccess for major databases what would those reasons be. And if I need another program for major databases, what is a good database program, that I can use that supports mysql, dbqwik, postgresql, and others as well, that is a best database program that is fairly easy to use, and can be used for all purposes big and small. I sort of want something that can work with all forms of database I want to use mysql with php, but I still want to know dbqwik, postgresql, and the other's out there in case if a client needs something done, or wants somethng done with a specific database type, or incase if the server I am working on, only supports a certain type.

MS Access is slow, buggy, the SQL is very Access-specific (more so than MySQL IMO), and everytime they come out with a new release of Access, you have so many headaches in the upgrades. And Access is meant to be a single user database. It is not designed for a multi-user, network based database.

MySQL should be your database of choice, but postgresql, MSSQL, and Oracle are all good choices as well. I've never used dbqwik, but you should do your research before settling with it. Just keep in mind that once you understand one of these, understanding the rest is a minimal task. They all just have their own little features that makes one better than the other.... or worse in the case of MS Access.

I looked into oracle, why is it 40,000 dollars, what I need is a cross database, something that can be used with any type of database. But something that doesn't cost 40,000 dollars, I called oracle, the company and asked them they said it costs 40,000 dollars. I need a good database, I want when a client comes to me and they ask for a database driven website, yes if I use mysql, that is great, but how do I get to where I can build my Sql databases. Can I open word and build a database from scratch, or do I HAVE to get ahold of some program or another, and if so are there any free that I can basically use for any purpose, so say I use mysql as a default, there might be a server that "only" supports sqlite for instance, then me knowing mysql and using it will be unaffective. So I would need a program for sqlite as well, or do they have a program that can run any type of databases, this is giving me a headache I think.

There is no program that I'm aware of that can interact with all of them. They all have their own ways of creating tables and keys and schemas and so on. If you find such a tool, you should post it here, because I'd love to know about it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.