Another newbie asking where to learn

Yes, another newbie has invaded this group.

I am using DWMX and want to learn PHP and MySQL. The DreamWeaverMX Bible book doesn\'t help much. Too technical for someone just learning, although I\'ve got a good handle on dreamweaver itself.

I\'m looking for books or sites to help me learn.

What I need(want) to do is create a database of approximately 500 tshirt designs, including fields for item number, category, small image, large image, sizes available and price. I want to be able to create dynamic pages, by category, and them be able to click on an image and open a new window with a larger image, sizes available, and pricing information and a buynow buttom to send the order onto my shopping cart.

I already know how to write the code for the shopping cart.

I don\'t want to create 500 webpages, so that is why I\'m here.

My webhost supports PHP and MySql.

Thanks,

Ric

hello, right now I am using a very good book to learn php and of course the basics of Mysql. The title of the book is \"PHP 4 : A beginners guide\" by Bill McCarty.

here is a link to it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007...8906992-0768814

So far this book has helped me a lot. Though I am still a newbie php programmer, slowly but surely I am getting better.

Keep in mind though that there are many places on the net that can give you help. Like phpfreaks.com, php.net (the manual), and many other places.

I hope this helps you though and good luck with PHP programming! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The book I read to learn PHP was PHP and MySQL Web Development Second Edition by Luke Welling and Laura Thompson. It is by far the best, most-informative technology-related book I have ever read. The first chapter on variables is way over done and quite confusing but just read it a couple of times and then the rest of the book is a breeze. I recommend to any PHP developer as a learning tool as well as a reference.

Link to Amazon

I\'m responding to the last entry in this thread re the Wellington / Thomson book.

This book is the best I have come across and I can only recommend it to everyone starting to pick up PHP but have some programming knowledge already. There are most likely books that go into more depth, but the real strength of the book are the business scenarios it covers in the 2nd part of this book. Taken your objectives with the T-Shirt designs into account, it sounds as if this book could be the business for you.

regards,

PM

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.