Why use pagination?

hadoob024

I've read all the posts regarding getting help with setting up and implementing pagination. The one thing that I haven't found is why people use it at all? Does it help with bandwidth usage? Is it just to help organize search results? I'm just curious as to the reasons pro/con for implementing it. Thanks!

Well, my view point..

Many info droped at page is ugly.. you need to filter it and show what you want to see.. in the pagination case.. test it.. make one page with 200 lines.. try to search manualy one of these lines.. so, make 20 pages of 10 lines.. try to search again.. its help a lot, do you see? test it and look for yourself ;)

if the data come from a database, its help to.. filter exactly what you want to show (i rate the Select * From usage, except if you will use all fields) and limit it. the query will be faster then before.

another try.. make the same 200 news, now with a thumbnail portrait about the text.. are you with me?

=) may have a lot of "why" to do it.. but the better in my case..

Layout Style!

D.Soul

So I guess you're saying that primarily it helps with response time, right? Hmmm... interesting. I guess that's reason enough to implement it. What if I want to have a "print search results" link at the end of my search results. I would I get that link to print the entire contents and not just the "paginated" section? Would I have to re-run the query?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.