How 1337 are you?

Crew-Portal

I Believe there are 4 Types of 1337 speakers. The way they speak are as follows:

1. PHPfreaks is awesome dude!

2. PHPfreaks is aw3some d00d!

3. PHPfr34k5 15 4w350m3 dud3!

4. |*|-||*|=|23@|<$ 1$ @\X/3$0|\/|3 [)|_|[)3!

And then there are mane sub classes of 1337 speakers who can understand certain languages but cannot write them. So my question to you people is this. What type of 1337 speaker are you put 2 numbers the first one is how you write on MSN or AIM and the second is how much you can understand. So since i normally write on MSN like example 2 and I can understand up to 3 I write 2-3.

So mines one again is 2-3, So what is yours?

Not really for any purpose but I was just curios. And well this is the misc board!

I personally think it's retarded. Though I can read all of the examples you provided, the last one took a while longer than the preceding ones.

I remember seeing a clip from a news program talking about leet-speak and how children were using it online to hide what they were saying from peering parents. It made me laugh, how stupid must someone be to not be able to "decode" most forms of said writing?!

I think the entire thing is just a waste of time, database space, and shows a lack of maturity.  I refuse to answer/reply to peoples questions in the forums when they speak excessively like that, or use IM styled typing.  The same goes for when friends send me IM's.  I won't answer them till they re-word the sentence properly, or at least close enough, and now most of my AIM/MSN/YIM/ICQ buddies have picked up the hint.

I agree with SA and Ron. It also annoys me when people abbreviate "you" to "u", "your" to "ur" etc.

I think the entire thing is just a waste of time, database space, and shows a lack of maturity.  I refuse to answer/reply to peoples questions in the forums when they speak excessively like that, or use IM styled typing.  The same goes for when friends send me IM's.  I won't answer them till they re-word the sentence properly, or at least close enough, and now most of my AIM/MSN/YIM/ICQ buddies have picked up the hint.

Hah! I do that as well - Ignore people over IM that don't make an effort to spell. It even annoys me when people use it in text messages on the mobile|cell phone, though at least it is a somewhat valid use due to character constraints, but still...

I can understand it on a cell phone due to the gimped typing abilities, but if you have a full keyboard there's almost no excuse for it.

My big pet peeves are ones like 'ur'.  I can't seriously believe anyone would think it takes less effort to consciously misspell a word than it does to hit the extra two or three keys?

It also drives me nuts when people don't bother to use the correct versions of:

your, you're

there, they're, their

where, were

then, than

In college most dorm rooms had small white boards where people could leave messages for each other; it's atrocious how many people in college can't spell.  It's even worse to see programmers doing it because it shows a complete lack of thoroughness and attention to detail, which are two very important traits of good programmers.

The most common abbreviations are OK by me however, as they are used often and their meaning is clear:

lol, rofl, rolfmao (but who types that last one anymore)

omg, omgooses (commonly used by me for something utterly ridiculous)

brb, ttyl, bbiab, bbiaf, afk

I will often use 1337-speak as an alias while playing an online game, but just because it's fun to piss people off.

your, you're

there, they're, their

where, were

then, than

In college most dorm rooms had small white boards where people could leave messages for each other; it's atrocious how many people in college can't spell.  It's even worse to see programmers doing it because it shows a complete lack of thoroughness and attention to detail, which are two very important traits of good programmers.

That might be the result of not speaking English natively. If you speak any other language than English, do you speak that perfectly? There is a difference between misspelling words on purpose and misspelling them because you are not fluent in the language. Still though, if somebody makes an otherwise grammatically correct post then I'd probably expect them to be able to distinguish between the words you mentioned as well.

your, you're

there, they're, their

where, were

then, than

That might be the result of not speaking English natively. If you speak any other language than English, do you speak that perfectly? There is a difference between misspelling words on purpose and misspelling them because you are not fluent in the language. Still though, if somebody makes an otherwise grammatically correct post then I'd probably expect them to be able to distinguish between the words you mentioned as well.

I have had the pleasure of being close acquaintances with people who have been speaking (and writing) English over their entire life, and just haven't bothered to learn the difference. Mistakes due to lack of practice are one thing, but making mistakes due to just not caring is a different situation entirely.

And on a not-completely-unrelated note: I spend a lot of time communicating with people on the internet - in fora, IRC channels, and over various IM protocols. It seems that "where" is very commonly used in place of "were", so much so that I hadn't seen the latter in a long enough time to actually forget about it. :-\ I was typing a sentence that required "were", but I started typing "where", and realized my mistake; but it actually took me a few seconds to remember what the correct word was.

Since phones have predictive text, i dont think theres much of an issue in typing out words properly in text messages either - except the character limit as i said before.

Completely agree with the points about grammar. It's pretty shocking. I think i've come to accept, and indeed sometimes use, a slightly less then perfect level of grammar on the internet, but the general level of grammar is appalling. My pet hate is the incorrect use of the apostrophe. Particularly in signs. It's really not that hard is it?

well, i just wish this topic would get off topic, and fast, so i'll have a legit reason to lock it

Ah whatever. Im just getting made fun of for starting this thing. You can lock it if you wanna. But before you do I would like to thank kts for actually partaking in this thread in a way that is logical.

I can understand it on a cell phone due to the gimped typing abilities, but if you have a full keyboard there's almost no excuse for it.

My big pet peeves are ones like 'ur'.  I can't seriously believe anyone would think it takes less effort to consciously misspell a word than it does to hit the extra two or three keys?

your, you're

there, they're, their

where, were

then, than

The most common abbreviations are OK by me however, as they are used often and their meaning is clear:

lol, rofl, rolfmao (but who types that last one anymore)

omg, omgooses (commonly used by me for something utterly ridiculous)

brb, ttyl, bbiab, bbiaf, afk

I will often use 1337-speak as an alias while playing an online game, but just because it's fun to piss people off.

ouch!!! well roopurt is correct when i was  noob in this forum i use to spell words that way I always use keyboard as an excuse (i hate typing till now i cant use my five fingers).. and i guess until now I'm still guilty.

One day I tried to read some of my post and it su*** That is why i am trying my best now to change this habit but sometimes it is really hard, like when you grew up on the other part of this world..I hate english why

there are lots of doubled letters (makes me failed in my quizzes in grades school)

pronunciation is different  form the way the words is spelled

in my native land you spell it just the way you speak it

eg..

DAVE (english pronounce it dayb)  but we pronounce it locally as da-be

iron ay- yorn  we we pronounce it e^-ron 

so it is really hard to adjust from my language to English

so guys bare with my spelling and grammar lol

teng what is your mother language by the way? Im guessing its not english since you are complaining about how the pronounciation. I myself started out life speaking french and I tell yta its hard going from french to english. Especilly in programming since like everything now is done in english!

Magandáng umaga :)

cool how do you know that bro..

@N350CA yes PHILIPPINES language But i guess the main difference between us is that we Filipino can pronounce the word correctly but for some like me its hard to spell the word correctly

Ya english is a weird language, and coding should have additional packages to make it easier for people in a multilingual enviroment. like there sohuld be a PHP language function like:

<?php

php.lang(french);

Étage ("50.2") // Produira 50

Écho "Bonjour ma mère d'un autre dérange";

?>

I think that would be kool. I would have posted an example in Tagalog but I had no idea what that was until about 5 mins ago. I dont even know how to speak the langiage let along translate it into php make-believe functions.

Ya english is a weird language, and coding should have additional packages to make it easier for people in a multilingual enviroment. like there sohuld be a PHP language function like:

<?php

php.lang(french);

Étage ("50.2") // Produira 50

Écho "Bonjour ma mère d'un autre dérange";

?>

I think that would be kool. I would have posted an example in Tagalog but I had no idea what that was until about 5 mins ago. I dont even know how to speak the langiage let along translate it into php make-believe functions.

seems like a great project for you to do.  Get the source code, go find yourself a forum that can help with the langauge that PHP Engine is written in, and make a french version of PHP

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.