Creating subdomains via PHP?

Teonnyn

Okay.. here's the problem ensofar. We've set up a system so that when a user signs up, they are given a folder within the site. It isn't an actual subdomain, and it links to a file such as [a href=\"http://teonnyn.dataresort.com/?mod=memberpage&function=showUserPage\" target=\"_blank\"]http://teonnyn.dataresort.com/?mod=memberp...on=showUserPage[/a]. From here, you have to press a button to visit the actual site.. which isn't at username.dataresort.com at all, instead, it's a redirection to the upload folder. This could be an annoyance to various users who just want to look at their site through a short link. Can this be avoided by having a HTML uploader-accessable subdomain created instead of a folder within the upload folder? What would be the best way to handle it?

[!--quoteo(post=367403:date=Apr 22 2006, 03:14 AM:name=businessman332211)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(businessman332211 @ Apr 22 2006, 03:14 AM) [snapback]367403[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I honestly don't know if this is possible, I wanted to respond because no one had gotten around to answering you but as far as I know, no there isn't a way to do this, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]
Well, it's almost certainly possible. PHP has a command called system() which will run a program on the originating OS, so if your webserver is Linux, it lets you run a linux shell command. So, you need to find out how to create subdomains on your server.

Rob

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.