2 quick questions

dJtl

1)

ya know how macs get less viruses than PCs? Well does Linux have lots of viruses like PCs or less like macs or in between?

2)

can you have windows xp and linux on the same computer?

thanks

1) Unix-based operating systems are designed in such a way that it's nearly impossible to infect them with a virus. I don't know anybody who runs an anti-virus program on their Linux machines except on mail servers.

2) Yes. GRUB is amazing. Check out Ubuntu if you want a distribution that will automagically detect the other operating systems installed and configure the bootloader.

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP, google 'dual booting', I dual boot on all my machines and it works great (esp. with grub, which ubuntu can configure by itself during the installation. If you want help dual botting ubuntu and vista, contact me, it can be a bit tricky sometimes.)

Not many viruses as such on unix/linux machines, although that doesn't mean you should forget about security altogether :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.