Project Idea

khendar

[i]First and foremost, let me be clear that this is not a job advertisement nor is it a call for help on the project. I'm merely after an indication of whether you guys think this is a worthwhile thing to try.

If this is in the wrong place - feel free to move or delete it.
[/i]

That out of the way, here goes.

[b]The Idea[/b]
A site where people can post ideas that they have had for web/software/multimedia projects. The goal is the development of ideas and concepts, and the bringing together of developers and "idea guys".

[b]The Audience[/b]
1. Ideas guys: People who have a good idea for a project but dont have the time, motivation or technical skills to pull it off.
2. Developers: Who have said skills, time etc but cannot think of a project on which to spend them.

[b]Features[/b][list][*]Ranks for active members - eg Top 5 Ideas Men, Top 5 Developers etc, Most Popular Idea etc[*]Comments system for ideas refinement[*]Ability for developers to register interest for a project[*]Display the status of picked up projects[*]If the project is picked up and becomes successful, advertising links to the project's website[/list]

[b]What it is not[/b][list][*]Sourceforge - No project management here - just ideas[*]GetACoder - or any other freelancing site[*]A general discussion forum - Users will be limited to posting and commenting on project ideas only[/list]
Well...What do you think?
Would any of you guys utilise such a system ?
Do you think it would work ?
Can you see any flaws in my concept ?
Is there already a site out there for this ?

Any opinions would be appreciated :D

hi

i agree with ober on this one. actually sounds like a blinding idea - the only problem being people getting PROPER credit where credit's due.
take the milliondollarhomepage as an example, assuming this is before it was 'invented':

- guy comes along (the ideas guy with no knowledge of programming) and says "hey, lets sell pixels on a webpage for a dollar each".
- programmer says (to himself) "hehe i can do that easily". he knocks up the required code, puts the site up and makes over a million dollars.
- ideas guy gets naff all apart from maybe a mention and some 'positive rep'.

what i'm trying to say is - if you plan your project carefully thinking about all these groups of people, you'll do very well with it. if you DONT take these people into consideration so that everyone benefits, people will wind up feeling a little cheated.

unless of course i've missed a big point somewhere?
Cheers
Mark

Guest askjames01
That's sound very familiar to me.

There are some I.T. groups out there that would like to ask your opinion
and they are asking your good suggestions and request for an open discussion on the net.
and they will pay you $5 or $10 if you join...

that' s very common my friend, i recieve hundreds of email with that concept..

I hope i can remember that site to share it to you. :)
Or i hope they will email me again because every time they sent me an email
i just deleted them all....

[!--quoteo(post=367190:date=Apr 21 2006, 11:25 PM:name=redbullmarky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redbullmarky @ Apr 21 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]367190[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
- guy comes along (the ideas guy with no knowledge of programming) and says "hey, lets sell pixels on a webpage for a dollar each".
- programmer says (to himself) "hehe i can do that easily". he knocks up the required code, puts the site up and makes over a million dollars.
- ideas guy gets naff all apart from maybe a mention and some 'positive rep'.
[/quote]

Thats certainly a consideration and one that I have put some thought into. Essentially I was picturing that the ideas contributers may not neccessarily be people who want to make money or even be a part of the development process. They may be an average Joe who has had an idea and would like to see it implemented. Besides, if someone really has a blinder of an idea which they want to be a part of developing, then they would most likely go out and find the resources he needs to pull it off.

For example, a person might think: It would be great if I could have an online database of my DVDs/CD/Games which I could publish on the net so that my friends can see what I have and offer trades/purchases/loans. Now...a developer or manager type will just go ahead and make it, or pull together a team to make it. But Joe Average will not, so he leaves it up to someone with the time and skills available to invest in the venture. (This is just an example - I'm pretty sure this service currently exists anyway)

The other purpose of the site will be to point people in the correct direction. If someone posts an idea, but that already exists in some form, then the other users can let him know thats already been done. So the site will serve another purpose.

Askjames10: It would be cool if you could point me in that sites direction. I dont want to waste my time if its already been done.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.