trying to learn

GuitaristTLE

I'm trying to build a website. And I want people to fill out a form that I create, which I know how to do in HTML for the most part. But I want it to be posted permanently onto an appropriate page. Here's a super bad example but appropriate, on myspace they have the comments thing, where you type in a comment and it's posted on their profile. I want people to fill out this form and have it posted on a main page so people can browse through the information others have submitted. More similar to message forums I guess. I've been looking for tutorials on this. I've already made the form and I can get it to post on a certain page, but it doesn't stay on that page... How do I get this to work? If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll try to explain it better. I should have been a CS major... Can anyone help me? My knowledge is limited, I know some HTML and that's about it. Is it possible for me to teach myself PHP?

_Aerospace Engineer in Need of Some Code Knowledge : (

Renee

To get it to stay on the page you need to store it somewhere on the server. This could be in a database, such as MySql, or it could just be text file.

Either way you need a language such as PHP to save the comments and subsequently retrieve them to display on the page.

A series of articles by Kevin Yank got me started on the PHP/MySQL path.

[a href=\"http://www.sitepoint.com/article/publishing-mysql-data-web\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.sitepoint.com/article/publishing-mysql-data-web[/a]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.