YOUTUBE Stores 100 MILLION videos...how is this possible

carefree

How can youtube store 100 million videos. I mean the storage costs must be immense, or do they have there own servers??

If they do heres the question...How can I set up my own server and stop paying 300+ bucks a month for hosting.

I have the money to buy the servers but dont know whats involved.

Any ideas people??

No, YouTube doesn't have their own servers. I think they pay something like $5.99 a month from supercooleasyhosting.com. Quite the bargain when you think about it...

If you want to set up your own server, go for it, but it will be restricted by your internet connections bandwidth if you are planning on running it from home - It would be a better idea to get it co-located at a data center. But don't forget, you're going to have to learn what it takes to setup, maintain and secure such a server.

you will also be hampered by your isp...  many isps block you from hosting your own site unless you pay for the super expensive business account.

Is this the case where you live (where do you live?) because in Denmark you can do what ever you want with your bandwidth if you have a flat rate subscription. If you have 8mbit/s / 1mbit/s you can transfer as much data as you want without the ISP having any reason to upset.

I saw some video of a Youtube engineer talking about the backend of Youtube a while ago, but unfortunately I've been unable to find it again. Not that I understood most of it anyways...

There was a brilliant video that did the same only it was MySpace (which probably stores more data than YouTube) They literally have hundreds of datacenters, thousands of servers.

These sites don't make huge money by the way, YouTube wasn't very profitable when Google took them over and MySpace is backed by a huge media company. The real money is selling them.

These sites don't make huge money by the way, YouTube wasn't very profitable when Google took them over and MySpace is backed by a huge media company. The real money is selling them.

I agree. I watch about 100+ youtube vids every week for the past year and have never clicked an ad.

Wasnt myspace recently taken over (sold)? Originally developed by a 22yo or something.

Saw a new clip on youtube recently, the guy from Facebook got offered 1 BILLION dollars for the website. Maybe that should be our REAL focus - Building crazy websites with no initial profit, and selling them.

Interesting goings on anyhow  8)

Why do you suppose Google bought Youtube, if they didn't think there was a potential to make millions of dollars? "The real money is selling them." Right. To collectors? Website fanatics? No, Youtube was sold because Google thought that they were going to get their money back and then some, not because they just really wanted to have it.

And just because you're not clicking links, don't believe for a second that you're not making Google any money. :) These advertisers don't care if you click the link or not - all they care about is that you see their advertisement. The presence of an advertisement is worth just as much as someone clicking the advertisement.

you will also be hampered by your isp...  many isps block you from hosting your own site unless you pay for the super expensive business account.

Is this the case where you live (where do you live?) because in Denmark you can do what ever you want with your bandwidth if you have a flat rate subscription. If you have 8mbit/s / 1mbit/s you can transfer as much data as you want without the ISP having any reason to upset.

im in the US and i asked if i could have my own server.  basically they told me that i could have my own server, but they would block any traffic (some crap about spam and viruses...just a bunch of hoo-hah to make you pay more.)  but it is in the terms of service.

......maybe i should move to denmark......

im in the US and i asked if i could have my own server.  basically they told me that i could have my own server, but they would block any traffic (some crap about spam and viruses...just a bunch of hoo-hah to make you pay more.)  but it is in the terms of service.

Part of it is indeed to squeeze more money out of their customers, but they do have a genuine concern. If they had one customer (or more) hosting their own website, and especially if they became very popular, the network (your neighbors, especially in the case of cable) would take a massive hit. So, if you want to host a website at port 80, they need you to buy a "business" connection, where they can dedicate a line to you, and then you're not affecting everybody else's internet. It's not all just greed. :)

Part of it is indeed to squeeze more money out of their customers, but they do have a genuine concern. If they had one customer (or more) hosting their own website, and especially if they became very popular, the network (your neighbors, especially in the case of cable) would take a massive hit. So, if you want to host a website at port 80, they need you to buy a "business" connection, where they can dedicate a line to you, and then you're not affecting everybody else's internet. It's not all just greed. :)

Good point, but I also wanted to bring up this idea -->. You don't have to tell your ISP and people who host their own websites do because it's free and they don't receive much traffic to begin with. If you are getting millions of hits you'll probably have the sense to host on a dedicated server...  ;D

Im thinking of starting up an adult paysite. But 1 HD video is 700MB, so to have a decent site ill need a 500GB+ storage allowance.

Currently im paying 100 bucks a month for a VPS, with a 6GB storage, the cheapest i could find was 1,750 per month for 200GB.

Theres gotta be another way around storage problems!

I would personally go with a host with high amount of bandwidth and storeage - not a vps.

www.servage.net, which is a danish company based in Germany, offers 360GB of storeage and 3600GB of data transfer per month for only 39 DKK which is around $7.7 / 5.3 eur / £3.8.

You could have 2 of such accounts giving 720 GB of storeage and 7200 GB of data transfer per month or make a deal with them regarding more storeage space and data transfer.

I personally wouldn't go with a VPS when you need lots of storeage space. They are primarily aimed at sites / web services with the need for custom / special (not apache + php + mysql) software and not for storing large amounts of video.

If you are thinking of using more than 10 GB of space then you should start looking into buying a server. Google, yahoo, and even myspace host on their own servers just because it doesn't cost much after an initial investment - including a fiberoptic backbone and many servers (once they get this, they simply buy harddrives for space, a very cheap investment).

Also, HD movies don't really work well. You are better off giving users medium quality movies - or a choice (which will use up space even more). Even those using dsl, might have problems downloading HD movies.

My 2 cents.

Haha, you have to be kidding me about needing a dedicated server for 10GB. I regularly share 30GB of data between family and friends (music, and so on), and my host is $10 per month, HostGator. I also host my own project sites (4) and the sites of eight clients.

If you are thinking of using more than 10 GB of space then you should start looking into buying a server. Google, yahoo, and even myspace host on their own servers just because it doesn't cost much after an initial investment - including a fiberoptic backbone and many servers (once they get this, they simply buy harddrives for space, a very cheap investment).

Haha, you have to be kidding me about needing a dedicated server for 10GB.

I think he meant actually owning the servers, not renting a dedicated one  ;)

Just get a host where you know the exact amount of data transfer you can use every month, because hosts that offer "unlimited data transfer and 1-3GB of storeage" don't mean unlimited datatransfer.

I had such a host one time - www.web10.dk (danish company) - and they offer "fri trafik" which means unlimited / as much as you like / free trafic, but I once hosted a 200MB file that got downloaded as little as 10 times and they shut down my account because I used too much trafic.

So go with something like www.servage.net where you know you have 3600GB data transfer per month.

Btw. I wouldn't recommend a host with servers physically located in Germany (europe) if you are looking for quick response times in the US - choose a domestic host.

I don't want to sidetrack, but why do hosting companies limit bandwidth? For example, my personnal internet connection has unlimited bandwidth, but a server doesn't. I know they are a lot different, but once a company is connected to a fiber optic backbone why does it matter?

Trust me, your personnal internet connection does have a limit. I guarantee that if you check the TOS you will find a fair use policy. There are an awful lot of companies, hosting and ISP alike, that go around with unlimited this or that, but have a fair use clause, with an unspecified limit. Which turns out to be very low.

That said, there are also lots of companies offering unlimited this or that, which also have a fair use clause, but their limit is high.

People with a 20 Mbit/s connection can theoretically accumulate quite a lot of traffic over the course of a month:

20 Mbit/s = 2.5 MB/s

2.5 MB/s * 30 * 24 * 60 *60 s/month = 6480000 MB = 6.5 TB/month

That is double the amount of traffic www.servage.net allows per month... But I guess those ISP's have taken into account the amount of traffic fast connections create.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.