**SOLVED** MySQL sorting errors

JasonLewis

Hey there! My first topic. Anyway... i have a member system, which is nearly complete and its kickass. but thats not the point. i have been killing myself over the arcade for members. when i get the scores i am sorting it by the score from highest to lowest...

but the thing is that it does that, but it does it by the username of the member first.

When i insert the data into the table i have a field for the game id, a field for the username, and field for the score and a field for the date. (i also have id so i can delete later on if i want to). now it sorts by the score but it groups the usernames together...

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!!!!???? please help someone cuz its really annoying...

thankyou in advance!

[!--quoteo(post=367780:date=Apr 24 2006, 06:58 AM:name=ypirc)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ypirc @ Apr 24 2006, 06:58 AM) [snapback]367780[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Give us sample data, expected output, and the query you are currently using that is giving you unexpected output.
[/quote]

ok. sorry... well here is the query that i am running:
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `arcade` WHERE `game_id`='$game_id' ORDER BY `score`");

this is what it is showing:
Rank Member Score Date
1 The One 860 23 April 2006
2 The One 57 23 April 2006
3 saiko 365 23 April 2006

this is what it should be showing:
Rank Member Score Date
1 The One 860 23 April 2006
2 saiko 365 23 April 2006
3 The One 57 23 April 2006

but for some reasona s u can c above it is grouping the usernames first, then it orders the score!!! anybody have any ideas?

do you have a timestamp in the table where your scores are kept, or even better, an auto-increment integer field used as the primary key?

If you have an auto-increment (we'll call this 'IDfield') do this;

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `arcade` WHERE `game_id`='$game_id' ORDER BY score, IDfield DESC");

This will select the scores highest to lowest, but will display them in order of when they were entered into the database table, rather grouping them by username.

Without code to see how you're sending it to the browser its tricky to diagnose properly.
[code]$position=1;
$query=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `arcade` WHERE `game_id`='$game_id' ORDER BY `score` DESC");
while ($fetch=mysql_fetch_array($query)) {
  echo 'Position '.$position.': '.$fetch[name].' - '.$fetch[score].' - '.$fetch[date]."\n";
  $position++;
}[/code]
Thats the code I'd use.

this is the code that is inserting into the table. i am getting the score from flash, which is all working properly.

here is the code that inserts it:

$insert = "INSERT INTO `arcade` (`game_id`, `player`, `score`, `date`) VALUES ('$game_id', '$player', '$score', NOW())";
$result = mysql_query($insert);

and Yesideez, how your doing it is pretty much exactly the same except mine is in a table. anyone? i need this fixed? thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.