Feedback please - design/nav/colors

hm2006

If you could please give feedback on this site I created for Harvest Master. Design, Navigation, Colors.
What works, what doesn't work. Any comments appreciated. Cheers.
Site - [a href=\"http://www.harvest-master.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.harvest-master.com[/a]

It's not bad, it's just ..... boring.

1) Too much white space... all of your elements just "float" on an undefined white space. There's no definition and nothing to contain the site. Sure, it's centered and appears to be lined up, but it lacks containment.

2) Colors. I'd like to get some clue as to where you decided to pull purple from for the nav. There's not another touch of purple on the entire site and it looks REALLY out of place. Try to play up the green a little more and get rid of some of that black while you're at it. I'd throw in some background color to kill some of that white space as well.

3) It's dead... you're using strictly images for the navigation and what's worse is that you don't even change the nav on hover or depending on what page you're on. I'd replace the nav images with CSS (I'm not even sure why you're using images on the left... you could EASILY do that with CSS) and throw in some hover effects and a "current" class to show what page you're currently on.

4) Flash. Why you use it for the main page is beyond me. Flash is fine for the demo, but I personally avoid flash otherwise.

5) Contact page: You have an email address, yet you're still forcing the user to open his own email client to email you. Provide a form and use some scripting (PHP) to do all the mail work for the user.

6) Images: I mentioned about images before and that you over use them in the nav... like I said, replace the nav with CSS and use images for the header... I should see plants overflowing the site and blooming out of every corner... that's the point you want to get across, right?

It's got potential, but right now it's just.... blah.

I agree the purple is out of place. I also agree the site just seems to float around without being bound to anything. I never really like the idea of two seperate menus unless one is a submenu for the current page. I've rethink the navigation and add some style to the top menu as noted by ober.

Thanks for the feedback. I will take on board what you said. The purple came about because it relates to the product being sold, being that it is purple. It was also requested by the company that this be the colour for the navigation. Is there anything good about the site, You have pointed out the bad which is very helpful, but still not sure what you think is good about the site. Cheers.

[!--quoteo(post=368198:date=Apr 25 2006, 12:22 AM:name=harvest)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(harvest @ Apr 25 2006, 12:22 AM) [snapback]368198[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Thanks for the feedback. I will take on board what you said. The purple came about because it relates to the product being sold, being that it is purple. It was also requested by the company that this be the colour for the navigation. Is there anything good about the site, You have pointed out the bad which is very helpful, but still not sure what you think is good about the site. Cheers.
[/quote]

your content area bits are neat and laid out well enough. it's just the surrounding areas like the nav, logo, etc, that needs work. if purple is the colour youre theming it around, then maybe purple use a little more than just the nav would be better.
it's been said before - it needs containment, just to give all the elements a 'home' to live - elements floating in a sea of whitespace look a little lost and segregated, when they should all be pulling together to form your site.
the site as a whole is ok, but if you take on board some of what's been said before and apply a few other minor licks of paint afterwards, you'll have something definitely worthwhile.
definitely not bad though.

cheers
Mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.