2 suggestions, index tags and topic bookmarks

I know you guys may wanto to keep your forum unadulterated so you can get the phpbb updates (assuming this is phpbb) but, here are some enhancement suggestions:

1) it would be useful if on a given topic a user could populate a comma delimited field that would have tags that go into an index page.  They could put something like "thumbnail, graphics" if they had a topic question about a thumbnails.  That way, when searching, someone could go to the "index" and see all the posts on thumbnails.  I realize that someone could just search on "thumbnails" or "graphics", but they would get posts that inavertendly mention "thumbnails" or "graphics".  Just a thought.

2) Another feature that would be nice is if some of us noobs see a post we want to use later, we could "bookmark" it so we could find it in our profile.  Of course, we could just copy/paste the link in a text file as well.

Just my $0.02.  Thanks.

Firstly, this is an smf board.

Now...

1: You can search for topics containing all words within your query. Given your example this would narrow the search down to posts containing the words thumbnail and graphics.

2: You can (kind of) do this by using the notify feature. Any posts you want book marked, click notify, this will add them to your notifications list within your profile. You can then choose to turn of the email notification option, leaving you simply with a list of bookmarks.

Perhaps the thumbnails and graphics are a bad example.  If you were wanting to search for "while" loops or "if" statements, you would get tons of stuff since some of those words are used in common speech.  I was just thinking it would be a better way of drilling into the context sensitive searches.  Its probably too much work, and maybe not worth doing.  It was just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on an algorithm that's similar to the way word clouds works, it automatically parses text and finds most likely words that should be tagged for the text. Other than the number of time a word occurs in a text, there are other ways to determine what needs tagging.

This would be a nice mod for SMF.

I will be working on a mod to do this once I get SMF installed.  I'm using a nuke platform, but am about to load the www.smf-nuke.com version to get away from phpbb.  phpbb is a nice forum, but I like SMF's cleaner look.  Plus, if phpfreaks is using it, it says something about it too.

I have built something similar in phpbb but lost it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.