Online servers or built servers

SirChick

What are the main advantages and disadvantages between the two of these choices.

If you were to build your own server and have the server in your home I cannot see the advantage to this.. yet some people do it.. cannot see why?

Online servers seem better but perhaps theres something i don't know between the benefits of each?

Running your own server means you have complete control. The only way to do this with a hired host is to have either a dedicated server or vps. Even then, your kinda stuck using there network configuration.

The main downside to running your own server is that you need alot of bandwidth up and down, and it will take up alot of your time maintaining it.

What do you mean by complete control... what sorta of control would i loose with it being on the internet?

Also what do most people do..? Im going to start online but i do like the sound of complete control lol.. im building a text based game site ... would that be better online or building my own? Or does it some times depends on the size of my member total to determine ?

Firstly, all servers must be online in order for them to be publicly accessable. Your asking the difference between hiring a server (or space on a server) or running your own.

If you really don't know the differences your not in the possition to run your own.

Complete control means setting up the operating system (preferably Linux), networking, firewall then insatlling all the software you need to run a AMP stack. eg; Apache, MySql and PHP.

You'll also need to (more than likely) install and configure an smtp mail server.

Unless your really know what you are doing it is highly likely your server will be insecure and maybe even unstable.

Having complete control allows you to install any php extensions you may need as well as any other software you may want to use on the system. However, it also means greater responsibility.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.