26 replies to this topic

#1 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:57 PM

I started playing with this site a while ago and decided to change everything. It is my good friend's company.

[a href=\"http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/c3/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/c3/[/a]

Right now it is just a starting point.

#2 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

At my resolution - 1280x1024 the right side looks very empty. The whitespace in the top div also conflicts with the large whitespace on the right - at my screen resolution.

The main website itself is nice - the logos make it. The quote area is very nice.

Overall - it is nice. Just not sure whether it would be better with the content in the middle, or the header and footer divs at a set width (not 100%).

Rgds,
Steve

#3 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368065:date=Apr 24 2006, 01:30 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 24 2006, 01:30 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
At my resolution - 1280x1024 the right side looks very empty. The whitespace in the top div also conflicts with the large whitespace on the right - at my screen resolution.

The main website itself is nice - the logos make it. The quote area is very nice.

Overall - it is nice. Just not sure whether it would be better with the content in the middle, or the header and footer divs at a set width (not 100%).

Rgds,
Steve
[/quote]

THe problem is that it will be too stretched if the content went across the screen, and I'm tired of fixed width center aligned sites. I'll think more about what I can do, I'm using the same res and didn't notice it being much of a problem.

#4 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368070:date=Apr 24 2006, 06:37 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Apr 24 2006, 06:37 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
THe problem is that it will be too stretched if the content went across the screen, and I'm tired of fixed width center aligned sites. I'll think more about what I can do, I'm using the same res and didn't notice it being much of a problem.
[/quote]

The white in your header div clashing/matching with the white on the right at large resolutions is just a little strange IMO. Its as if the grey bar (with the icons) is just hanging there.

As for been tired of fixed width center aligned sites :: join the club!

P.S. as for icons - do you have a library or do you know where is a good place to get some?

Rgds,
Steve

#5 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368074:date=Apr 24 2006, 01:49 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 24 2006, 01:49 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The white in your header div clashing/matching with the white on the right at large resolutions is just a little strange IMO. Its as if the grey bar (with the icons) is just hanging there.

As for been tired of fixed width center aligned sites :: join the club!

P.S. as for icons - do you have a library or do you know where is a good place to get some?

Rgds,
Steve
[/quote]

I guess I see what you mean for the two white sections. I'll see if I can do something about it, but the text in the header I don't think will look right with a colored background.

As for the icons, I found them with a google search, can't see I didn't break any copyright infringements though. *looks for copy police*

#6 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

I only have one minor gripe, and maybe I'm the only one that thinks this: The nav is almost "childish" big. I know a lot of people think that tiny = professional but I don't totally agree with that. However, this kinda takes it to the other extreme. I'd knock it down just a hair in the nav. Otherwise, it's pretty solid. I don't know how I feel about the footer links sitting above that bottom bar either... it's just ... different.

Info: PHP Manual

#7 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368393:date=Apr 25 2006, 08:00 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 25 2006, 08:00 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I only have one minor gripe, and maybe I'm the only one that thinks this: The nav is almost "childish" big. I know a lot of people think that tiny = professional but I don't totally agree with that. However, this kinda takes it to the other extreme. I'd knock it down just a hair in the nav. Otherwise, it's pretty solid. I don't know how I feel about the footer links sitting above that bottom bar either... it's just ... different.
[/quote]

I didn't really notice it being big. You mean just the icons or text or the entire thing, including the bar?

I changed the footer to include the links within and so that the color extends to the bottom of the page.

#8 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368412:date=Apr 25 2006, 02:01 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Apr 25 2006, 02:01 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I didn't really notice it being big. You mean just the icons or text or the entire thing, including the bar?

I changed the footer to include the links within and so that the color extends to the bottom of the page.
[/quote]

The footer looks better.
As for the top Nav - ya, the whole height of the white and grey bars. Could you lightly hatch the white top bar?

-steve

#9 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

Ok, I decreased the size of the top white section and menu bar and font slightly, does it look any better? I was nothing drastic in the change, but I shaved some pixels here and there.

#10 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

Maybe I'm seeing things.... but I don't notice any change. ?

#11 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368431:date=Apr 25 2006, 09:43 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 25 2006, 09:43 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Maybe I'm seeing things.... but I don't notice any change. ?
[/quote]

did you refresh your browser? Anytime I've used opera I have image problems.

#12 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

I refreshed... checked it in IE, etc.

#13 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

Ober: there was a very minor change to the height of the white div.

jcombs: Im out of ideas.

Rgds,
Steve

#14 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Ok, but I still don't see this:

>>I changed the footer to include the links within and so that the color extends to the bottom of the page.

#15 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368441:date=Apr 25 2006, 09:58 AM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 25 2006, 09:58 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ok, but I still don't see this:

>>I changed the footer to include the links within and so that the color extends to the bottom of the page.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have a proxy/caching server that may not be refreshing with new images/content.

[!--quoteo(post=368440:date=Apr 25 2006, 09:57 AM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 25 2006, 09:57 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ober: there was a very minor change to the height of the white div.

jcombs: Im out of ideas.

Rgds,
Steve
[/quote]

I'm not clear if that is a good or bad thing? I don't know if you guys noticed that there was also some content in the about/services section.

#16 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

Ah ya - the site looks great. I was just focusing way too much on the header.

Still think that right area could do with something.

On the about page -> tis nice how the bottom stays blue/grey.

I would try and put that top white div a very light shade of grey to set aside.

Neways - nice overall.

-steve

#17 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:36 PM

[!--quoteo(post=368453:date=Apr 25 2006, 10:22 AM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 25 2006, 10:22 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ah ya - the site looks great. I was just focusing way too much on the header.

Still think that right area could do with something.

On the about page -> tis nice how the bottom stays blue/grey.

I would try and put that top white div a very light shade of grey to set aside.

Neways - nice overall.

-steve
[/quote]

Do you see the light grey horizontal bars that I had put there? There are pretty light but made it not completely white. I may see how it looks centered. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll post again when I make any more changes.

#18 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

ok, I centered it to see what you guys prefer. I think I prefer the left alignment, but I'm not sure, I like it centered too.

#19 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

The top graphic is broken in IE.

The top graphic on the Services page jumps to the left when coming from other pages.

It doesnt look bad - center aligned. Perhaps if you put a 1px left and right border and something in the background like with your main www.multimedia-technologies.com might look nice.

I have to say that I cant really see the light grey horizontal bars.

Rgds,
Steve

#20 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

I looked on another monitor and couldn't see the bars either, so I darkened them a little. Also, tell me if you still have a broken image, I have IE 7 installed and it looks fine, but I did correct a possible reason for it. I've also added a contact page. I don't want to add any lines down the side of the content section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users