two tables one hidden and playing music the other is for browsing the rest of the site

jasonc

I had this challenge on a site a while back and used frames to solve it.

Best I can figure, a non-frames site would have to be written using AJAX methodology -- never loading any real pages -- just updating content on existing. Building the whole site inside of Flash is another alternative. But as long as you're loading pages with every click, it will refresh the music too.

Another option might be a separate "popup" window for the music.

hi,

what did you do to use frames, i am using frames but it does not update the text box in the un-static page.

I wish to simply have the music frame that is hidden but refreshes every 20 secs or so to change the contents of a table that is within another frame so it shows what track is being played.

the left hand frame plays music and i wish for the track playing to be shown in a table that is in the right hand frame, but the right hand frame is made up of php files, using the include() inside the frame table.

i have been told to use this line that line, but none are getting results.

it has got to have something to do with my using php and including the pages from them.

thank you in advance for your help.

if you need to get to my host to see the files i can forward the server password and stuff to you.

Jason

[!--quoteo(post=368115:date=Apr 24 2006, 08:45 PM:name=michaellunsford)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(michaellunsford @ Apr 24 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]368115[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I had this challenge on a site a while back and used frames to solve it.

Best I can figure, a non-frames site would have to be written using AJAX methodology -- never loading any real pages -- just updating content on existing. Building the whole site inside of Flash is another alternative. But as long as you're loading pages with every click, it will refresh the music too.

Another option might be a separate "popup" window for the music.
[/quote]

There are too many unknown variables to help you sufficiently.

If all you want is ambient music that loops, the frame solution works great. If you're going to be doing internet broadcasting of a variety of music that's a whole other can of worms.

If each user is hearing something different, you should either use sessions or cookies to keep track of what's playing. It's quite a challenge. PHP can help, but it won't be the complete solution.

A few things of interest... the music doesn't play on my os (Macintosh). I tried Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer without success. Your object tag doesn't have the correct CLASSID or CODEBASE parameters, you might also consider using an <embed> tag instead of or inside your <object> tag to improve compatibility.

Even if I manually type in the address to the wave files in your source code, they give me a codec error. Perhaps the more universal MP3 format would work better?

Now. I'm not entirely sure if this will work, but you might be able to use javascript to rewrite a <div> tag inside your main site that can also <object><embed> your music file. That would eliminate the need for frames.

If you still want to use frames, there may be a way for javascript to talk to the secondary frame -- but both solutions are more javascript than PHP and are beyond my scripting abilities (and they're the wrong language for this forum anyway)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.