Which Programming Language

juapo2

Which programming language you use most or like best?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which programming language you use most or like best?

• Java
    • JavaScript
    • C
    • C++
    • Perl
    • Python
    • PHP

Of the above languages my favorite is Python. I know a little of Perl, C and C++. Javascript would probably be the language I'm most proficient in on that list, but I still prefer Python to Javascript.

Edit: Seeing as the poll has been edited Javascript is no longer the language I'm most proficient in of the listed languages. My proficiency is as following: PHP > Javascript > Python > Java > C = C++ > Perl.

I'm surprised that nobody has complained that scripting languages are not the same as programming languages.

A programming language is an artificial language that can be used to control the behavior of a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages, like natural languages, are defined by syntactic and semantic rules which describe their structure and meaning respectively. Many programming languages have some form of written specification of their syntax and semantics; some are defined only by an official implementation.

Programming languages are used to facilitate communication about the task of organizing and manipulating information, and to express algorithms precisely.

I'd say that scripting languages such as PHP, Perl and Python do this as much as compiled languages like C does.

Here are my views on those languages and a few other that should be up there:

Java: Never like the syntax or saw any reason to dive deep into, C++ does what I need.

JavaScript: Love it when using it with jQuery, very fun for Web UI stuff

C: never used it, started with C++ so no reason to go back to C for me

C++: I love it for low level programming, like for games or anything graphic intentive

Perl: Convert some perl to php and don't see why I would ever need to use it

Python: New used or seen it but heard good thing

PHP: Love it, only thing I need for web development

Ruby: Dislike the syntax a lot

VB: Great for building business application, anything that does not need heavy graphics

ASP: Never seen a point in learning it, I hate Microsoft's proprietary software(like DirectX, ISS).

I never said I liked it but I don't know make other languages other then VB that lets you drag a drop to create a window and interface.  ASP is a different story because there is PHP.  if someone wanted to build a business application fast, I would recommend VB, if they have more time, I would recommend C++ with something like wxWidgets, if someone what to build a website I would recommend PHP not ASP.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.