gerkintrigg
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Magician
  • 828 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Normally this is a good thing right?
Well I remember on my old server I could have lots of lovely red errors when I made a mistake with coding. These are just not there any more, the script stops, but no errors. Is there a way to turn these back on as I found them REALLY useful in debugging.

Thanks in advance.
Neil Trigger - http://www.ghostlypublishing.co.uk - Ghostly Publishing - Children's Fantasy Books

#2 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:51 AM

Yes

To do so you must be able to have access to a file called php.ini and to be able to restart the webserver.

If have access to the abpve then find and edit your php.ini. Now fuind the following line:
display_errors = Off
change Off to On

If you want your error messages to be red then find the following:
; String to output before an error message.
;error_prepend_string = "<font color=ff0000>"

; String to output after an error message.
;error_append_string = "</font>"
and remove the semi-colons infront of error_prepend_string and error_append_string

Now save your php.ini file and restart your webserver for the changes to be made.

#3 gerkintrigg

gerkintrigg
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Magician
  • 828 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

Thanks.
I'm still having problems with the permissions for the folder that the php.ini is in. I should have full access to everything, but for some reason the write permissions are set to no (that's kinda what I want) but when I change them to allow tyhe upload of the php.ini via FTP it says permissions are such that I cannot put the file. I've tried to do it via SSH (is this right) but active X is not installed. I've looked at loads of tutorials and scripts to do this, I've tried logging in as everything I can (using the plesk control panel) but I can't find a way of allowing myself in. (weird saying it like that...)

I should have SSH access and FTP access to all of the domains on my server and can probably find the root folder of the server if I looked for it.

Please help. I'm like a dog chasing his tail - desperately - and not getting anywhere. - At least I now have a php.ini that does what I want it to do. I just can't get it on to the server...
Neil Trigger - http://www.ghostlypublishing.co.uk - Ghostly Publishing - Children's Fantasy Books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users