Music

samona

Hi, I would like to write a music page in php and stream some of my music pieces that I play on my piano, however, I don't want people to download them.  I just want them to listen to it.  Is there a way using PHP that I could restrict that?  Thanks in advance.

You can't listen to it if it isn't downloaded to the your computer. You can compare it to not being able to read a book if it's in the building across the road. Streaming is just playing while downloading so you can start watching/listening right away instead of having to wait until it's completely downloaded.

ok, is there a way to keep someone from saving the file. For exxample if they right click and click save it will say Sorry cant save?

The surest way to do it is to actually use a streaming media server, like an internet radio station - the method you're describing, along with many variations, are very easily sidestepped. And there are even ways to save streaming media to your computer using streamrippers, so nothing is guaranteed to be protected. But to minimize the amounts of successful saves, a streaming media server is your best bet.

You should look into a small flash player that you can put into your page.

they're quite nice, although anybody with reasonable html knowledge can get the source code for it get the track list. Most of them run off xml files, so anyone can get the url to the xml file and download the songs.

You should look into a small flash player that you can put into your page.

they're quite nice, although anybody with reasonable html knowledge can get the source code for it get the track list. Most of them run off xml files, so anyone can get the url to the xml file and download the songs.

You could get the file from a database... such as save a file id, then use the flash player to get the id from the database, then load the song associated with that id, from a hidden folder on your website.

Example:

http://beta.tzfiles.com/player.swf?id=1244

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.