Forum games

neylitalo

For some reason, we've seen a sudden surge of forum games, and the administrators and moderators have decided that the PHP Freaks forums were not created with the intent of providing a medium for games.

PHPFreaks aims to be a resource for developers of all proficiencies and ages. We require a certain level of professionalism and maturity from our members and their posts. To maintain some of this professionalism, forum games are not allowed.

For some reason, we've seen a sudden surge of forum games, and the administrators and moderators have decided that the PHP Freaks forums were not created with the intent of providing a medium for games.

PHPFreaks aims to be a resource for developers of all proficiencies and ages. We require a certain level of professionalism and maturity from our members and their posts. To maintain some of this professionalism, forum games are not allowed.

i agree but what do you exactly mean by forum games.. and some stuff of this forum sometimes join those stupid games like describe whos on top of this thread

edit by neylitalo: Edited to include the modified rule.

i agree but what do you exactly mean by forum games.. and some stuff of this forum sometimes join those stupid games like describe whos on top of this thread

That particular thread, and the "this or that" thread, are prime examples. I suppose the real problem is not "forum games", but rather, threads that don't have a real purpose or provide any value.

yes agree. may i know who proposed to stop this!

Stopping 'this' is clearly a benefit to the phpfreaks community.  Think of it like cleaning graffiti off the walls.  A proposal was brought to the attention of the moderating group, discussed, action agreed and taken. I don't see any benefit to knowing which member, moderator, or admin first proposed it.

You got the short stick then? I know they say don't shoot the messenger...

I didn't take a very active part in the discussion to eliminate the forum games, but I fully support the decision.  Don't let the fact that we have a miscellaneous board fool you into thinking that anything goes.  There are plenty of other sites devoted to silly nonsense and PHP Freaks doesn't need to join their ranks.

You got the short stick then? I know they say don't shoot the messenger...

I didn't take a very active part in the discussion to eliminate the forum games, but I fully support the decision.  Don't let the fact that we have a miscellaneous board fool you into thinking that anything goes.  There are plenty of other sites devoted to silly nonsense and PHP Freaks doesn't need to join their ranks.

I think you misunderstand me; i wasn't suggesting it were a bad decision - merely commenting on the fact that it seems a little unfair that neal would most likely be the one to recieve any flak from any member who did disagree with the decision.

I think you misunderstand me; i wasn't suggesting it were a bad decision - merely commenting on the fact that it seems a little unfair that neal would most likely be the one to recieve any flak from any member who did disagree with the decision.

I have quite a few theories, one of which is that everybody takes everything far too seriously. I've seen what happens when people take things too seriously (anger, jealousy, and depression), and I don't want that to happen to me. I used to be quick to anger, but then I realized that there is very little in life that really matters. (This is probably the primary cause of the sudden lax attitude I adopted towards school when I was a teenager. :) ) So, through the past few years, I've adopted this general thought process: Will this particular thing have any real effect on my survival or happiness if I take it seriously? (Most things do not.) If it does, then I make sure to concentrate on it or worry about it.

However, if the thing in question is so insignificant as to be completely irrelevant to my basic survival or contentedness (Princeton says it's a word - good enough for me :) ), then it is water off of the proverbial duck's back. (There are, of course, exceptions to both rules.)

The point of all of that is this: I can handle flak. :) It's awesome that you saw unfairness and pointed it out, but there wasn't any "drawing of straws" or anything - I just posted it. (After it was determined that there was no staff objection to the new policy, of course.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.