my site (beta)

tjhilder

Hi,

here's my new site, (still in beta) since I'm planning to do more with it, but I want to know if you come across any errors (PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS etc) and feel free to test out the comments etc.

[a href=\"http://3-0.tjhilder.co.uk/home.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://3-0.tjhilder.co.uk/home.php[/a]

user: demo
pass: pass

(make sure you tick the 'remember me' box) I need to sort the session part out (which is what gets used if you don't tick the box) but it's not working right now so I think the sessions aren't being used for the right subdomain.

also, some links won't work as I've not finished creating the pages for them, but all the links on the top of the page should work, but feel free to play around with it.

let me know what you think overall, don't hold back lol (might live to regret that :P)

I like it. It looks nice. I was presently surprised. I think you need a soft, grey, or faded-dark-tanish (seeing as tan is your theme) border around those elements, the header, the content, posts, and navigation. Also, try creating your own icon for the gallery, that green OS X Zoom graphic does not fit. I'm thinking a dark-tan - like the border I suggested - circle filled in with the main tan color, and maybe if you want to get fancy, put a white plus in the middle of it, or something of the sorts.

Looks very decent: 8.5/10

[!--quoteo(post=369172:date=Apr 27 2006, 07:31 AM:name=Volte)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Volte @ Apr 27 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]369172[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
(Did you remember to check "remember me"?)
[/quote]

yes, I tried it both ways.

The login works ok for me - after ticking the Remember Me box!

Anyhoo - onto the critique.
Well nice website and apperance - you cant beat putting a nice photo onto a website to help it along. I wouldn't mind seeing a change of photos - or random photos using the same theme.

As for the login - if you login with a wrong password - I get to see some SQL and it just begs me to try some SQL injection....

Your simple but effective Nav on the top right - well its a bit far away when looking at the gallery or news or members. Its either closer to go to my back button - bad idea, or to go all the way up to your top nav. - get the idea?

As for adding comments - it puts in the year 1970!!

If Im not logged in - and I go to the Gallery Section it says:
Notice
You must be a Registered Member and Sign in to view this area.

but you do not provide a URL/link in the text to Register/sign in. Well its just that Registered Member is underlined and I think its a link.

Anyways - nice and simple - a little buggy (login). Youve a nice bit to go - handling images etc.

Rgds,
steve

thanks for the suggestions [b]Volte[/b], I'll see what I can do!

[!--quoteo(post=369170:date=Apr 27 2006, 12:26 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Apr 27 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]369170[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
nothing happens when i try to login with demo pass
[/quote]
do you accept cookies? (if not then I gotta figure out why it won't let you sign in.)

[!--quoteo(post=369187:date=Apr 27 2006, 01:02 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 27 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]369187[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I wouldn't mind seeing a change of photos - or random photos using the same theme.
[/quote]
do you mean changing the theme randomly? I was thinking of doing something like that, but not sure how to do it, so I'll have to do some search work to find out how to do it.

[!--quoteo(post=369187:date=Apr 27 2006, 01:02 PM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 27 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]369187[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
As for the login - if you login with a wrong password - I get to see some SQL and it just begs me to try some SQL injection....[/quote]
I'll sort that out, right now I've changed it slightly and taken out the mysql statement.

get the idea?[/quote]

As you mentioned it, yea I do agree with that, i'll see what I can do.

As for adding comments - it puts in the year 1970!![/quote]

this should be fixed now.
I also fixed the blank comment problem.

but you do not provide a URL/link in the text to Register/sign in. Well its just that Registered Member is underlined and I think its a link.[/quote]
I've added the links, now I need to create the pages for them.

You need to limit the "Comments" - I just copied a fair amount of stuff in.

Having to Click "Remember Me" is still a pain. I do allow cookies - why should I have to click Remember Me - Id have it as default - and if I want your website to forget me - then Id provide a Logout button.

-steve

[!--quoteo(post=369508:date=Apr 28 2006, 10:40 AM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 28 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]369508[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You need to limit the "Comments" - I just copied a fair amount of stuff in.
[/quote]

fixed (but not on the test site)

[!--quoteo(post=369508:date=Apr 28 2006, 10:40 AM:name=steviewdr)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(steviewdr @ Apr 28 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]369508[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Having to Click "Remember Me" is still a pain. I do allow cookies[/quote]

the reason I haven't got it set to default is that some people don't accept cookies, those that do can simply tick the box (you'll be logged in for 30 days unless you delete the cookie.) I'm thinking of making it so that you can set how long you want it stored for.

otherwise it would store a session until the browser closed but it's not working on that subdomain (although it's storing the session without a problem.) so I need to figure out why that is.

[!--quoteo(post=369558:date=Apr 28 2006, 01:35 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Apr 28 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]369558[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Seems like you have some issues with the login system.
[/quote]

you're the only person to report that problem, so I dunno how it's my login system's fault :P I've had plenty people use it without trouble. what type of o/s, internet, browser are you using? maybe this will help me determine if and what the problem is.

[!--quoteo(post=369831:date=Apr 29 2006, 09:59 AM:name=tjhilder)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(tjhilder @ Apr 29 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]369831[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
the reason I haven't got it set to default is that some people don't accept cookies, those that do can simply tick the box (you'll be logged in for 30 days unless you delete the cookie.) I'm thinking of making it so that you can set how long you want it stored for.
[/quote]

But without clicking this "Remember Me" box - I cant login successfully.
Im using IE 6.

Rgds,
Steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.