- UPDATE PHP/MYSQL -

sjones

Hello, I have worked many hours to troubleshoot why this won't work. I have read at least 15 post on UPDATE. I still can't get this to work. When I submit the form. It says that the udate took place, however it did not. I will put the form below, this is the section that is supposed to update the DB. I will also put the form below this one that feeds the info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

//UPDATE FORM/////////
if ($title && $description && $main_page) {
$news_id = $_POST['id'];
$title = $_POST['title'];
$description = $_POST['description'];
$author = $_POST['author'];
$main_page_display = $_POST['main_page'];

include '../connections/mysql_connect.php';
$query = "UPDATE `news` SET `title` = '".$_POST['title']."', `description` ='".$_POST['description']."', `author` ='".$_POST['author']."' , `main_page` ='".$_POST['main_page_display']."' WHERE `id` ='".$_POST['id']."';" ;
$result = mysql_query($query);

if ($result) {
if ($main_page_display == "yes") {
$mpd = "This article will be displayed on the Main Page";
}else{
$mpd = "This article will not be displayed on the Main Page";
}
echo "<span class='default'><strong>The following information has been changed in the database!</strong><br><br>
<strong>Title:</strong> ".$title. "<br><strong>By:</strong> ".$author."<br><br>
<strong>" .$mpd. "</strong><br><br>
<strong>Description:</strong><br>".$description."<br><br>
<a href='edit_news.php'>Click here to edit another article</a>    <a href='index.php'>Click here to go to the main page</a>     <a href='logout.php'>Click here to Logout</a>";
}else{
echo "No results where edited in the Database";
}

}
echo "<span class='default'><a href='javascript:history.back()'>Back</a></span>";
include 'footer.inc';
exit;
}
////////// END OF TOP FORM //////////////////////

//////////THIS IS THE FORM THAT FEEDS THE TOP FORM THE INFO///////
if (isset($_GET['submit'])) {
$article_id == $_GET['article_id'];
if ($article_id < 1 ){
echo "<span class='nav_default'>You did not select an article.</span><br><br>";
echo "<span class='default'><a href='javascript:history.back()'><strong>Back</strong></a></span>";
include 'footer.inc';
exit();
}else{
$query = "SELECT * FROM news WHERE id ='".$article_id."';" ;
$record = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

echo "<form action='edit_news.php' method='post' name='article_select'>
<p class='default'><strong>News Headline/Title: </strong><br>
<input name='title' type='text' size='50' maxlength='120' value='".$record['title']."'>
<br>
<br>
<strong>Author:</strong> <br>
<input name='author' type='text' size='50' maxlength='120' value='".$record['author']."'>
<br>
<br>
<strong>Do You want this article to appear on the Main Page?</strong> <br>
<input name='main_page' type='checkbox' value='yes'>Yes   <input name='main_page' type='checkbox' value='no'>No<br><br>
<strong>Article Text:</strong><br>
<textarea name='description' cols='50' rows='6'>".$record['description']."</textarea>
<br>
<br>
</p>
<p>
<input name='submit' type='submit' value='Submit'>   <input name='reset' type='reset'>
</p>
</form>
<p style='width:480px; '><span class='nav_default'><strong>* </strong>If you would like to add an image to this article. You will need to use the 'Add Image to News Article' link in the Image section of the Main admin page. After you submit this article.</span></p>";
include 'footer.inc';
exit();
}
}

Change

to

$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in: $query" mysql_error());

Also, you set variables from the POST data but don't use them.  You also don't even check to see if they contain what they should

1. Use

tag when posting codes. It's very messy, hard to read and people don't usually give topics like these too much of a glance and just skip it because of that. So please just use the tag.

2. First line: if ($title && $description && $main_page)

Where are all those variables defined?

because your error reporting is off this line has an error that is why get that blank page

$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in: $query" mysql_error());<---- should have a dot

$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in: $query" .mysql_error());

I have looked in the php.ini file and error reporting is ON. I still don't have any idea why this won't work. The following line of code was added.

$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in: $query" .mysql_error());

Not only did I get no errors, the script continued and did not die???

I am answering one of the above questions with the code below,

Any thoughts?

The variables are defined in this table.

//////////THIS IS THE FORM THAT FEEDS THE TOP FORM THE INFO///////
if (isset($_GET['submit'])) {
$article_id == $_GET['article_id'];
if ($article_id < 1 ){
echo "<span class='nav_default'>You did not select an article.</span><br><br>";
echo "<span class='default'><a href='javascript:history.back()'><strong>Back</strong></a></span>";
include 'footer.inc';
exit();
}else{
$query = "SELECT * FROM news WHERE id ='".$article_id."';" ;
$record = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

echo "<form action='edit_news.php' method='post' name='article_select'>
<p class='default'><strong>News Headline/Title: </strong><br>
<input name='title' type='text' size='50' maxlength='120' value='".$record['title']."'>
<br>
<br>
<strong>Author:</strong> <br>
<input name='author' type='text' size='50' maxlength='120' value='".$record['author']."'>
<br>
<br>
<strong>Do You want this article to appear on the Main Page?</strong> <br>
<input name='main_page' type='checkbox' value='yes'>Yes   <input name='main_page' type='checkbox' value='no'>No<br><br>
<strong>Article Text:</strong><br>
<textarea name='description' cols='50' rows='6'>".$record['description']."</textarea>
<br>
<br>
</p>
<p>
<input name='submit' type='submit' value='Submit'>   <input name='reset' type='reset'>
</p>
</form>
<p style='width:480px; '><span class='nav_default'><strong>* </strong>If you would like to add an image to this article. You will need to use the 'Add Image to News Article' link in the Image section of the Main admin page. After you submit this article.</span></p>";
include 'footer.inc';
exit();
}
}

Sql Injections!!!

???

$query = "UPDATE `news` SET `title` = '".$_POST['title']."', `description` ='".$_POST['description']."', `author` ='".$_POST['author']."' , `main_page` ='".$_POST['main_page_display']."' WHERE `id` ='".$_POST['id']."';" ;

If it wasn't for magic_quotes_gpc, then that would mean bad news...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.