How can I do this with SQL database

butterfly

I need to create a database that will have contact info of all our 600 clients in the US. All i need to put in this database is their company name, city, state and phone. I can create this database in MS Access with no problem, but our website is running using php open source.

I am wondering and i am very confused and have 0 level expertise with mysql database. I need to know how can i create this list using the mysql database? What do i need to know??

And will I be able to connect this database with our website and have users also login their company info from the front end?

If using phpmysql is challenging, i can use ms access and then convert it to mysql but again the question is how can i have my website work wit this database and how can i show this info on the front end of the site.

I just need some advise, some type of direction.

THanks for you response in advance.

You shouldn't have any problems with any of these things. The first step would be to re-create the DB design in MySQL, and then import the data. If you can get your Access data exported into text format (e.g. tab-delimited), it would be easier, though you can connect them directly via ODBC. Once you've got the DB set up, you can use PHP/Perl/whatever to manage user sessions, etc.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

There is so much info out there, it just one gets lost and that is truely my case. So i iwll start creating the database in access then use ODBC for conversion. I think mambo has php/perl something of that sort that i can install for user session....

Will concentrate my research only to this.

Thanks again.

Perhaps I misunderstood... you don't have the DB yet? Then you should make the initial design in MySQL directly -- don't both with Access at all. It's more trouble than it's worth. Take the time to read over same basic MySQL table structure refman pages, and start from there. db4free.net will give you a MySQL playground at no charge, so you don't even have to set up your own server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.