basic advice needed

Ninjakreborn

I need some advice, I would really appreciate some help.
I have come a long ways but now I am trying to put my stuff together, I got to where I could email form information. I just need to start validating with javascript and php. I need to figure out what I am going to do from here. How do I learn to code on my own, how do I learn to bring all this stuff together, php and javascript, I want to learn how to get all this stuff to come together to use with various tips, I have a good site I am using, but I still don't know where to go from here, so many questions, so little answers, and so much studying, yes I have been physically practicing with and fighting with this stuff as I go along.

I was asking for some advice, on moving foward with pulling this together, like what kind of programs to work on first, or should I continue trying to master javascript validation, should I server side validate on the same page or on teh same page the email is processing.

thats something easy to know.. ask your self what you want for your site.. how your planing your site to look and what you want in it.. nce you have planned out what you want for your site, you can start looking for information little by little.. if you want a forum.. get everytihng you cna know about forums.. you want something else.. and so on. is about what you will need at a time.. and once you have everythingn you need just go further with it.. learn more about what you already know..there is always something knew to learn.

oh i stared php too.. and i'm stuck in making a gallery... i been looking every where and i almost got it.. once i'm done with that.. my next step is creating a forum wich i know will be easy cause i got a little knowledge about it..

and after i do that i'm going to learn as much as i can.. i just need these 2 things to get my site running.. i want to be a programmer too.. best way to go about it is doing your own site and see how well it goes.. and even post your resume in it.. and you never know who might look at it..

I am I already know Xhtml, css, and "VERY LITTLE" javascript. Now a bit of php. I am wanting to build my site in xhtml, style it in css, put in some javascript, for basic validation, and preload images. Then I am wanting, just for knowledge, to have a form, that sends information to a database, to make sure I Have the basics of databasing, before I start to take on projects.

[!--quoteo(post=369422:date=Apr 27 2006, 08:10 PM:name=businessman332211)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(businessman332211 @ Apr 27 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]369422[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I am I already know Xhtml, css, and "VERY LITTLE" javascript. Now a bit of php. I am wanting to build my site in xhtml, style it in css, put in some javascript, for basic validation, and preload images. Then I am wanting, just for knowledge, to have a form, that sends information to a database, to make sure I Have the basics of databasing, before I start to take on projects.
[/quote]

Dude you need to get yourself a book man. go spend a few bucks and youll learn fast. Iv recomended this book to you previously 'PHP and MySQL for dynamic web sites' By larry ullman

well personally i found getting a physical book easier because i didn't have to switch between a million different screens when trying to learn.

but anyways, it was already said: you need to figure out what you want your website to do before you can figure out what you need to learn next. Get some paper and pencil and sketch out how you want it to look, make little symbols for what you want to be links, dropdown, whatever. put little notes for what you want certain things to do, like if you want a search engine on your site to search a list of clients or other info then put down what you want it to search and how, etc.. after you figure out all the little things you actually want it to do, and you have it on paper sitting in front of you, then it becomes a lot easier to make it go from paper to screen, as far as figuring out what to do next, what you need to learn, etc...

It's not that, I was wanting to know everything about php, when I see someone who knows php, they look at any script 20 minutes later have a fix. That is the point I am trying to get too, Same with javascript, then I need to do a little tidying with my css. and learn photoshop and graphic design.

Listen, businessman.. ive told you this plenty of times, youre not going to learn php instantly.. and as for databasing I gave you a great link that had all of the basics you need to know.. all I did was read the 10 - 15 sections.. and then i started adding on just using the php manual..

[a href=\"http://www.zend.com/php/beginners/index.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.zend.com/php/beginners/index.php[/a]

use it this time.. and stop asking such broad and basic questions.. the answers are out there..

people who look at a script, find the problem and fix it 20 minutes later do not learn how to do that from a book. they learn that from experience of actually coding.

when you make your own scripts, you come across bugs. you learn how to fix them. as time goes on, and you've fixed lots of bugs from simple typos to missing }'s and ;'s to logical errors or whatever else, you eventually get to the point where a lot of errors are easy to track down and find and fix, because you've been there and done that. you cannot learn this from a book. you can only learn this through experience.

i am by no means anywhere near "expert" at php. I ask all kinds of questions and struggle with all sorts of things and spend hours trying to figure out stuff. but when I come here, sometimes someone asks a question that i happen to know how to fix it cuz hey, just last week, i had that same problem! yeh, that sort of thing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.