Darwin ...Permission denied

mgm_03

I enter ./bin/mysqld_safe ..and.. voila ! Just in case once isn\'t enough my own computer rejects me 6 extra times!! :cry:

touch: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: Permission denied

chown: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: Permission denied

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data

./bin/mysqld_safe: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: Permission denied

rm: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..pid: Permission denied

./bin/mysqld_safe: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: Permission denied

tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: Permission denied

030809 16:31:34 mysqld ended

tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: Permission denied

...the dumbass

You\'re right.

I tried this and while it didn\'t work, at least all the rejection stopped.

[Marks-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe

Password:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data

030809 20:11:09 mysqld ended

look in your data folder for a file called hostname.err: it will provide you with further details of why this is happening. you may also want to append an & to the end of your command, so the database will not take up your terimnal screen.

Thank you.

In the data directory I only found a file called:

Mark\'s-Computer.local..err

I don\'t know why there are two periods between local and err? Anyway I\'ve tried to open the file using :

vi Marks-Computer.local.err

(No terminal database found)

this is so painful

After alot of frustration and searching the web everywhere, I gave up and went to Marc L\'s site again. I used his script to remove the files and then started a new download/install all over again.

upon issuing:

mark% sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe&

I\'m asked for my Password ...on the same line I just typed and I can see the letters of my passwrod as I type WTF???

Next I try:

mark% su root

(enter password)

mark# ./bin/mysqld_safe &

I get:

[Marks-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data

030811 16:12:53 mysqld ended

I check the err log file ...

030811 16:12:52 mysqld started

030811 16:12:52 Can\'t start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already in use

030811 16:12:53 Do you already have another mysqld server running on port: 3306 ?

030811 16:12:53 Aborting

030811 16:12:53 /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

030811 16:12:53 mysqld ended

-----------------------------------

Then I did a google search on the entire line containing \"Do you already...3306?\". I read on the University of Washington website (Washington) that I need to create/edit a .my.cnf file. Then select a different port and put the file in my home directory. So, this is what I put into the .my.cnf file:

[mysqld]

port=3305

socket=/Users/mark/mysql.sock

basedir=/Users/mark/mysql

datadir=/Users/mark/mysql/data

[client]

port=3305

socket=/Users/mark/mysql.sock

So I used port 3305 instead of 3306. I checked /Users/mark directory and the file is there with (rw_r__r__ permissions). It does not appear that the file had any effect. I get the same message when I run mark# ./bin/mysqld_safe&

[Marks-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data

030811 16:42:50 mysqld ended

Also, I couldn\'t sudo because the same thing happened with my password (see above). So, I switched to mark# to get to where I am now....which is virtually where I started

no...I just bought a Powerbook with 10.2.6 ...MySQL is not installed

My first install of MySQL was succesful until last week...don\'t know what changed but I noticed the problem when I tried to install phpMyAdmin. Upon trying to get into mysql , nothing was workng. Don\'t know if it\'s due to PMA or that\'s just coincidence.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.