Building a web server

Mouse

Building a web server to test my own sites…

Has anyone built heir own home test server? I’ve read that I could use my old PC as a base, ok so it won’t be fast or flashy but it could work… but has anyone done it before?

I have an cable / wireless / Ethernet net connection and was wondering if anyone had already done it and if so how?

Mouse

First of all, the PHP Help forum is for specific PHP scripting problems, so I'll be moving this to a more relevent forum.

Yes, I have done it - I have FreeBSD installed on an old machine: 800MHz CPU; 128Mb RAM; 10Gb HDD. But I mainly use this for learning the command line for FreeBSD as I have a couple of dedicated servers with the same OS on, if I want to do something on my live servers I test it out on my test one first so that I know what I am doing!

For testing my PHP projects on, I just use my development machine which is running a WAMP set-up.

[!--quoteo(post=369493:date=Apr 28 2006, 09:28 AM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ Apr 28 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]369493[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
First of all, the PHP Help forum is for specific PHP scripting problems, so I'll be moving this to a more relevent forum.

Yes, I have done it - I have FreeBSD installed on an old machine: 800MHz CPU; 128Mb RAM; 10Gb HDD. But I mainly use this for learning the command line for FreeBSD as I have a couple of dedicated servers with the same OS on, if I want to do something on my live servers I test it out on my test one first so that I know what I am doing!

For testing my PHP projects on, I just use my development machine which is running a WAMP set-up.
[/quote]
thanks for that Semi... just need to run tests on my mail security and membership systems that as the use a mail confirmation i'm having issues doing it on my development machine...

Mouse

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.