Macbook Air - imagine writing PHP on this thing

emehrkay

I stumbled across this last night, very nice looking - Not sure how usable it would be though, you can only go so small before it becomes uncomfortable. Was really impressed at the spec that they have managed to cram into such a small space though! I only had another MacBook delivered last week, damn you Apple!

• 1 year later...

Looking through some of my old threads. I actually used one for about four months earlier this year. Great machine, very very light. When I first got it, I would think that I left it places because it felt like it wasnt in my bag.

It did have a industrial design flaw though -- the screen's bevel sat flush on the keyboard area. this caused it to rub against the areas around the mouse button so it would leave markings on the palm rest

----[mouse button]----

--- == markings

Ever heard about the iPhone? If Apple doesn't like your app it's just tough luck. I remember one app that would allow the user to search for books in Project Gutenberg and format them nicely to read on an iPhone. It was rejected because the end user could manually search for "Kama Sutra" and in that way access adult material. There was also the Google Voice app.

When I've bought some hardware, I don't want anyone to decide what software I am allowed to write for it or run on it.

Another example could be the ports on their computers. In one of my courses on the university I have a professor who uses a MacBook Pro. Because Apple thought it would be a really good idea to create their own proprietary port that nobody else uses, each time he connects it to a laptop he has to use some stupid Apple adapter. They could have just used existing standards such as DVI or HDMI.

There are plenty of problems with macs, especially some of the older ibooks, but they have come a long way. I support a mixed network environment of both mac and windows and there are some active directory integration problems.  Lately I've been using Open Directory which actually isn't bad.  I'm really not a fan of the hardware but the software certainly has come a long way.

I just recently had to swap some hard drives on older ibooks and I had to completely disassemble the laptop to get the the drive.  That is just poor design and a trap to customers in my opinion. 

Crayon Violent love the pic.

I don't mind any computer or operating system,but i must admit the mac looks more solid then a pc

espacilly the top off the range gear.

But saying that there some real nice pc cases on the market.

Crayon Violent recent pic is a grate classic Theo.

i still have a commodore 64 running a buliton board for fun threw a 24 hundred modem lol, the truth is it busier then most web sites i create ( hate the noise of the modem theo lol

even iphone is a flop show in eu, asia etc only people from america uses apple more than anywhere else on earth if im not mistaken? also its so very expensive.

It is next to impossible to get an iPhone in the UK at the moment due to the demand. I called one of the larger stores in London yesterday to check if they had any stock and they said they had 1000 delivered two days ago, and they have already sold them all.

even iphone is a flop show in eu, asia etc only people from america uses apple more than anywhere else on earth if im not mistaken? also its so very expensive.

It is next to impossible to get an iPhone in the UK at the moment due to the demand. I called one of the larger stores in London yesterday to check if they had any stock and they said they had 1000 delivered two days ago, and they have already sold them all.

Come to America... stores can't sell them - as in the demand isn't greater than the supply.

I wasn't going to post here but I will. I have both a Mac (two) and an iPhone (had the 3G, now the 3Gs) and I like both a lot. The phone is fast and while a lot of apps get rejected the ones in the app store are generally good apps. The bad ones get bad reviews and you know enough to ignore them. The touchscreen is incredibly responsive. I've tried several HTC products, including the dream, and they're just not on par. There's always a lag when you scroll or it just "feels" wrong for some reason, be it speed or fluidity, I'm not sure. OS 3.0 fixed a lot of the issues with lack of features with the iPhone and I can only assume it'll get better. For being in the phone market for such a short time, Apple has done phenomenal. And they've changed a lot of the way the phone market works. Before the carriers would dictate what phones phones they would carry and the price for each, as well as the plans. With the iPhone, the carriers knew they needed it and Apple was able to set its own terms. I'm most thankful for the data plans that were created in Canada solely because of the phone. Canada has the worst packages of text and data. I only pay $30 a month for 6GB of traffic (there is no unlimited), which is more than enough and at a price that wasn't possible before the iPhone.

As far as Macs, this is the part I was originally going to write about. I've had a mac for over four years and used them longer. They're amazing. Not perfect, but they're stable and fast and getting faster. The OS is clean and easy and uniform and it makes for an enjoyable experience. There are hundreds of free apps encompassing most of what you'd ever need to do on your computer and the paid apps are usually fairly priced, unless they're more specialty apps like photoshop. I know Apple has an advantage because their OS only has to run on the hardware they decide to build for it, making it that much easier to create a stable environment. Would it be as solid if they had to account for every graphics card and every CPU architecture? Probably not. But am I going to not use it because its not fair to Microsoft? No, I'm going to still use it. As far as developing goes, its built from Darwin, a BSD strain, and terminal lets you have nearly as much control as you would with any *nix system. You can code most languages easily and find compilers for them all. The only one I've had to have Windows for is Visual BASIC.

All in all, Apple makes solid products. Not perfect, but just to be able to run the OS alone, generally worth the extra money even if the hardware isn't as fast as you could get for less.

About the Macbook Air though, I wouldn't get one. No disc drive would drive me nuts. And I feel like I'd break it in a week. 128 GB SSD is nice though.

I don't think that recent versions of Windows are instable.  Individual programs still freeze from time to time (mainly because I try to be way more ambitious with my hardware than I should be lol), but as far as full system freezes go, I think people remember the old days when talking about Windows.

Also, a lot of free software exists for linux and Windows too.  Guess you never said it doesn't though.

Oh, and I hate my iPhone at times.

I've hated my iPhone too but I hated it more when I had the 3G and had it jailbroken. The 3gs with legit firmware is pretty solid. I just hate constantly hitting enter instead of space. That's my fault but I know I'm not the only iPhone user that does it (one of my roommates has one and does it too).

And you're right about the OS being more stable than it used to. I was really impressed with the Windows 7 Beta actually. For a beta it was a very nice system. Will the released version be more bloaty and less quick? I don't know. But if they can keep it as clean and as fast as the beta was then it'll be good news. I'm also hoping its cheap enough for me to justify spending money on. I like XP but I like Windows 7 more.

I would say that surely the live version wouldn't (well RTM is out, so "isn't") be worse than the beta, but some people think that Vista was better when it was Longhorn.

The only reason I see for jailbreaking an iPhone is to be able to tether it, which I would do, but I don't have 3G here.  So you think that there's really a big difference in the 3G and 3GS?  I have a 3G and I've messed with my sister's 3Gs a bit, and I don't think they're much different.

Finally picked up a 3GS yesterday, just waiting for my number to be ported from my previous network. Cool phone though, from what I have played with it so far - This is the first time I have used one before. The on-screen keyboard is surprisingly easy to type on, I might even go as far as saying it's easier than my Blackberry Bold that I switched from.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.