Update field according to last entry

Savizzaviz

So I\'m running a mySQL database and using PHP to script an add/update form for the rows in my table, which I do like this:

[php:1:2a88340347]if ($submit) {

// If ID is present, update the current row

if ($id) {

$sql = \"UPDATE stories SET story_title=\'$title\',story_desc=\'$desc\',story_body=\'$body\' WHERE story_id=$id\";

// Else create a new one

} else {

$published = date(\"Y-m-d\");

$sql = \"INSERT INTO stories (story_title,story_pub,story_desc,story_body) VALUES (\'$title\',\'$published\',\'$desc\',\'$body\')\";

}

$result = mysql_query($sql);[/php:1:2a88340347]

Now what I want to do is make it so that when you create a new row, a story_numb field is automaticly updated to the next number up from the last one in the story_numb field according to the last story_id (auto_increment) number. So basicly generate the next highest number for the new story.

Anyone know how I could even do something similar that?

Okay, I have a 2am alcohol induced solution, lets see if it holds water hehe. Just do a select of the latest records number and subtract 1 from it. That will give you the last record with a good story number. Then take that story number and add 1 to it. Something like:

[php:1:1ebd38c1c9]
} else {
$sql = \"INSERT INTO stories (story_title,story_pub,story_desc,story_body) VALUES (\'$title\',\'$published\',\'$desc\',\'$body\')\";
$newstory = mysql_insert_id();
$laststory = $newstory - 1;
$getlast = \"SELECT story_numb FROM stories WHERE story_id = $laststory\";
$getlastnum = mysql_fetch_array($getlast);
$lastnum = $getlastnum[story_numb];
$newestnum = $lastnum + 1;
$updatenew = \"UPDATE stories SET story_numb = $newestnum WHERE story_id = $newstory\";
}
[/php:1:1ebd38c1c9]

On a last note, if you currently have any stories in there, you need to manually set their numbers, but it should work for all new php created stories.
?>[/code]

Heh... Well I can\'t seem to get it to work properly. I tried it your way and a few other ways, but the only thing that would even slightly work was:

[php:1:8a620cf238] } else {

$newstory = mysql_insert_id();

$laststory = $newstory - 1;

$getlast = \"SELECT story_numb FROM stories WHERE story_id = $laststory\";

$query = mysql_query($getlast);

$getlastnum = mysql_fetch_array($query);

$lastnum = $getlastnum[story_numb];

$number = $lastnum + 1;

$sql = \"INSERT INTO stories (story_numb,story_title,story_pub,story_desc,story_body) VALUES (\'$number\',\'$title\',\'$published\',\'$desc\',\'$body\')\";

} [/php:1:8a620cf238]

That, though, only made the number 1, which it continued to do forever. I think the problem might be in the mysql_insert_id() but I don\'t know how to fix that... Have you sobered up enough to help? :wink:

Oh, and I\'m thinking the method for getting the last story_id might not work properly, since my story_id variables aren\'t all in a 1, 2, 3, 4 order seeing as some of the rows get deleted. I was thinking there\'d be a way to do it within the SQL query so as to select the last row somehow.

well, looked good at 2am lol

I was going about it the wrong way, but I\'ll blame it on alcohol :?

hehe give this a shot

[php:1:944d03e0f0]<?php

$gethigh = mysql_query(\"SELECT story_numb FROM stories ORDER BY story_num DESC LIMIT 1\");

$gethighnum = mysql_fetch_array($gethigh);

$highnum = $gethighnum[story_numb];

$newestnum = $highnum + 1;

$sql = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO stories (story_numb,story_title,story_pub,story_desc,story_body) VALUES (\'$newestnum\',\'$title\',\'$published\',\'$desc\',\'$body\')\");

?>[/php:1:944d03e0f0]

Hey, thanks, that did it. I had to change \"ORDER BY story_num\" to \"story_numb\" but it worked.

If you want, you can check it out here (You wont be able to add stories, though, obviously ;) ). If you see anything wrong with any of my scripts, I\'d appretiate a message.

Thanks for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.