very confused

Ninjakreborn

I have asked this but noone has ever understood what I mean so I took the time to word it correctly here
ok. I have been fighting with this for months but I am confused and don't understand this at all. Ok I think like this. There is my computer(local copy) of a website I am working on. A server(hosting company) when I speak of this I mean mostly someone who has an internet hosting company like www.bluehost.com or www.startlogic.com or something like that. ok I am wanting to know if I have the general idea of a database. For instance my web host www.bluehost.com has the following databases or something they say in there control panel.
MySQL Databases
phpMyAdmin
PostgreSQL Databases
phpPgAdmin
ok so what I would do postgresql, is using postgresql, but I don't understand the difference between MYSQL databases, and phpMyAdmin. And what I don't udnerstand more of, is what do I do, I use a "program" ON my computer, like microsoft access, or oracle, or another software program on my computer to create the databases. Then I UPLOAD them to the server as I would xhtml, or do I take the files on my COMPUTER I created with teh database, put them on the server, and then link them to phpadmin, or do I just build the database int eh first one, then edit it through php admin. If I creaete a database in microsoft access, then link it to phpmyadmin, or the mysql above it, then use php mysql functions, then I am still "using" mysql right
What I keep getting confused over, is I am thinking of like I use dreamweaver for xhtml, css, php files. So I create a file in php in dreamweaver, I upload it to the server, when the browser calls it, the php "module" parses it and kicks output into the browser. Very simple to understand, is a database the same way. GOd this is hte most confusing subject I have ever ran across, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated/.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.