IE border on right of entire page

ober

That "border" seems to be the white part of your background image that is being used on the document body. In IE6 your maincontainer is shifted to left so that it is covering up the left hand side of the background image (so there is no shadow effect) and revealing some of the central white portion of the background image.

Can't be sure what the problem is because I never experience this kind of thing, haven't looked at all the code, and I don't have time to test solutions on IE6. But with some luck maybe these suggestions could help:

1. The IE centering hack

body {text-align:center;}
#maincontainer {margin:0 auto; text-align:left;}

2. Just put the background image on maincontainer instead (add left/right padding equal to the width of the shadow effect.

Also wouldn't recommend using pt for font-size declarations for screen media.

And just out of interest, why are you using ex for margin units? Thanks

Ok, I made the changes you suggested in #1, but I don't have IE6 to test on at the moment.

What would you recommend for font-size declarations?  I've always used pt.  What's the harm?

The original CSS file I based this one off of is not mine so some of the CSS is borrowed (hence some of the bugs).  I'll probably eventually clean some of that up.

Looking at the link in IE6, the problem appears to be solved.

As for the font-size:

http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size

Do not specify the font-size in pt, or other absolute length units for screen stylesheets. They render inconsistently across platforms and can't be resized by the User Agent (e.g browser). Keep the usage of such units for styling on media with fixed and known physical properties (e.g print).

It is best to use relative units - percentages or ems - for screen media font-size units because they can be resized by users and give you more consistent cross-browser rendering of sizes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.