Run of the mill web site critique...

underparnv

Hey everyone! I am back with another web site design critique request!

[a href=\"http://nnga.matrixcs.biz\" target=\"_blank\"]http://nnga.matrixcs.biz[/a]

I know it's a blue golf site. This was the client's request.

The one thing that I am not sure I am a fan of is the blueish/purple background on the main_lead div....but I pretty much stink at graphics. Any other ideas on what to put in there?

Also, the flash bit on the right of the main page is generated dynamically using the PHP/SWF Slideshow code...if you click on it you will be taken to their home page since I am using the free version.

Finally, to see the interior page layout, click on the Read More link under the main heading.

I am looking for any and all comments...

Thanks in advance,

underparnv

You're right, that background isn't very good. I'd suggest finding a better way to do it, like by removing the purple tint from it.
As for the rest of it, it all seems very professional, though it doesn't validate. The validator says that it is [i]tentatively[/i] XHTML1.0 Strict. That's the first time I've seen that, so it must be linked to your lack of character encoding. The only real problem that I can see is that, when you open a sub-menu and go to an item, the sub-menu text turns black and impossible to read.

Apart from that gradient background - I overall like the appearance of it.

I would either remove the gradient altogethor to have it a light green hue - like the light green you are already using.

The flash distracts me a lot from the website - it loads up black and dark grey - not v. attractive.

YOU HAVE A SMALL PROBLEM WITH YOUR CSS CODE ->
On IE 6 your NNGA Tournament Results, and Upcoming Schedule - The entire divs appear light green/blue instead of every 2nd one (alternating background colours) as in Firefox and Opera.

-steve

It looks pretty professional, but you've got a few issues, as mentioned by the others. My main complaint is the initial load. If I had been on dialup, I could have gone and grabbed a sammich by the time it was done loading. > 600kb for the index is simply unnacceptable, especially with the amount of content you have. Most of that should be CSS and text. I'm not even sure where the size is coming from.

Also, you need to fix your rounded edges on the column header images. Not only is it a poor job of creating the curve, but there's barely enough curve to even notice that there is one. Either remove it and just use CSS or make it more dramatic.

Short of those few things, it looks really good!

your header graphic
[a href=\"http://nnga.matrixcs.biz/images/header2.png\" target=\"_blank\"]http://nnga.matrixcs.biz/images/header2.png[/a]

is 500kb.

As ober said - completly unacceptable file size.
The Web Developer toolbar for firefox gives all useful info. Also the website websiteoptimisation.com will evaluate the file sizes of your website.

-steve

[b]moberemk[/b]:
I saw that on the validator. Is there a line of code that I can just throw in there that will get rid of it? When I went through and read up on it, I found that it was something that the server should be sending... Do I need to contact my host on that one?

[b]Steviewdr[/b]:
If I were to change the color of the flash box on the right before it loads images, do you think that would help?

Also, RE: the problem in the CSS code. I can't find out why it doesn't do the alternating color in IE, but does everywhere else. Do you see anything wrong in there?

Finally, as far as the images go, I haven't taken the time to web optimize them yet. That will come soon enough.

[b]ober[/b]:
I will fix those rounded edges. I completly agree that they suck :)

Thanks everyone for the comments! I will post back here when I have made my changes.

underparnv

[!--quoteo(post=369843:date=Apr 29 2006, 04:19 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Apr 29 2006, 04:19 AM) [snapback]369843[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The only real problem that I can see is that, when you open a sub-menu and go to an item, the sub-menu text turns black and impossible to read.
[/quote]

Also...how would I go about fixing this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.