#service mysqld stop
cd /var/lib/mysql
cp -ap db1 /home/backups/mysql/db1_temp
cp -ap db2 /home/backups/mysql/db2_temp
#service mysqld start

I am getting this error when I run test.sh

./test.sh

: command not found

----------------- Stopping MYSQL and copying the raw database folders...

: No such file or directory/lib/mysql

However, if I do cd /var/lib/mysql within a terminal, no issues as you would expect

Am I missing something?

the command not found part leads me to believe it can't find a shell to execute with, yet its doing the echo, so it hard to tell. What about changing your script too....

#!/bin/bash
#####################
# BACKUP BOTH DATABASES #
#####################

echo "----------------- Stopping MYSQL and copying the raw database folders..."
#service mysqld stop
cp -apr /var/lib/mysql/db1 /home/backups/mysql/db1_temp
cp -apr /var/lib/mysql/db2 /home/backups/mysql/db2_temp
#service mysqld start

This script may also need to be run as root as a normal user shouldn't have access to /var/lib/mysql.

Its stranger that its saying /lib/mysql  doesnt exist when the command is actually

cd /var/lib/mysql

Is #!/bin/bash important? I ran another script without that and it worked fine, so cant really see the relivence

I thought # was a comment anyway

P.S - I am running it as root

Is #!/bin/bash important? I ran another script without that and it worked fine, so cant really see the relivence

Yes it is relevent. it tells your shell which interpritor to use to execute the script. Without it, I think bash may try to execute it, which would be why its working. Shell scripts should always have a shebang line on the very first line.

I'm not sure why the cd wouldn't be working especially if your running the script as root. I usually avoid changing directories within script and use full paths instead. It can make your code easier to read.

Any reason why you really need to cd?

Erm, I think when I did

tar -cf file.tar /home/blah/blah/file.txt

when I open the tar in winrar or something It includes all the folders, even though they are empty

So in the rar is literally /home/blah/blah/file.txt rather than just file.txt

If CD isnt working, surely other commands will fail further along the lines without the correct shebang, if that is the problem in the first place..?

Erm, I think when I did

tar -cf file.tar /home/blah/blah/file.txt

when I open the tar in winrar or something It includes all the folders, even though they are empty

So in the rar is literally /home/blah/blah/file.txt rather than just file.txt

If CD isnt working, surely other commands will fail further along the lines without the correct shebang, if that is the problem in the first place..?

Ah yeah, that makes sense about the tar thing. Sorry though, but Ive no idea why cd wouldn't be working.

It depends what program you want to execute the script. The most common (and default on most systems) is /bin/bash. sh is an older shell, while bash (bourne again shell) is the newer. Some bash specific code won't run when executed via sh.

Perhaps this script is being saved in a Windows format rather than a Unix one? i.e., line endings of "\r\n" instead of "\n".

I think we have a winnner :)

Looks like your right, although hav only tested a partial amount of the script

Cheers man

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.