Critique Me

haydndup

I was asked to redesign the site for AVL Productions. Right now its being hosted on my home pc with a no-ip redirect. [a href=\"http://avl-new.zapto.org\" target=\"_blank\"]http://avl-new.zapto.org[/a]. If you can't get on to the site (eg, not found) it's probably coz my broadband disconnected itself as it often (and randomly) does. this south africa, crap adsl at high prices.

Anyhow, site description:
AVL Productions is an event organiser, and have been responsible for some of sa's biggest shows. They currently have two sub-sites within the main one - avl distribution, and avl academy. All sites will soon be on their own domain.

Any comments appreciated,
thanks in advance

Overall - well - the top seems empty and open.
Your black footer closes off the bottom of your site ok - but the top especially with the animated logo looks a tad empty. Perhaps a div with a light shade of blue etc might work.

Im not too gone on the things on the left onmouseover - Why do I have to wait 2-3 seconds to see what it says? Also onmouseover of them things on the left - the black border has round edges showing up at the corners. - it just looks a bit bitmap'y

YOU HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS with Browser Compatibility. The news page is broken in Firefox. Also the blue gradient etc. comes out of no-where.

On the news and services page - in IE you have to scroll an inner div. In firefox - you have to scroll the entire page. It is best when it is scrolling the entire page rather than having a person scrolling a small div.

The contact us page - with the error validation needs dressing up.

Has potential needs work.
-steve

Thanks for the input.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]YOU HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS with Browser Compatibility. The news page is broken in Firefox. Also the blue gradient etc. comes out of no-where.[/quote]
Any ideas on how to correct that? Also, my alignment doesn't quite work out on many of the pages with FF.

Allow me to describe my stream of conciousness when I opened your page:

"block block block image image image image more blocks horrible image swapping nav slow expanding worthless blocks on the side bad internal scroll bar simple simple simple"

The whole site is veeeeeeerrrrrrry image heavy and the little effects you have (like the expanding blocks on the side) don't add anything. Your nav images are blurry and unnecessary and the rest of the site is very "blocky" and poorly laid out. I can't tell if you're trying to do full-width or fixed-width.

I don't get the internal scroll bar. It's annoying and pages are meant to expand so that I only have one scrollbar to deal with (the browser's).

The only thing I really like about the site is the main graphic. It's sharp and looks professional.

Things I'd do:

1) Incorporate some more gray like the logo has.
2) Kill the white space
3) Lose the bulky images
4) Use more css
5) Lose the backdrop behind your headings
6) Stick with fixed width and move your left column to the right or vice versa.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.