do you use custom made hand coded programming or framework based ?

adilraufkhan

what do you use to code / architecture your project ? if framework then which would you prefer  

19 members have voted

1. 1. what do you use to code / architecture your project ? if framework then which would you prefer

• custom hand coded php into html
    • handcoded class based following mvc
    • I use framework cakephp/symfony/zf/ci/ ... etc
    • i had tried framework but failed to master it so prefer doing my own
    • i dont know about framework and so i use my own code

This is very much helpful to the professionals who have to decide what to use and what not to use for there projects.

It really sucks when there i no clear idea of what to do and what not to do if there are so many around you who say that you should use this or that for you projects architecture and you should follow this methedology for your projects etc . I hope my poll will help a lot of professional to get a clear trend in php development.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

all of them and trying to learn phpcake also.

Why bother learning multiple? Just take a look at the major ones and decide which one you like best. I like Zend Framework most and it is what the new site is being built with.

always use custom framework, most of these fgrameworks are dangerouse for you if u are making large applications wich will live for a long time, rember most frameworks are GNU they could stop working tommorow. Most frameworks are very silly but inovative like the JQUERY they make another language using strings. Most frameworks will not work how you would like them to across the board, they are a quick fix for novice's, advanced programmers compile a framework or methodology of framework or repositories.

just like chrisdburns said

'It really depends on the project'

meaning i need to know everything.

I'm quite sure Chris was referring to whether he would use a framework or not. You'll end of preferring a particular framework anyways, so it would be pointless and a waste of time bothering to learn multiple frameworks.

since i noticed you are more experienced than me when it comes to framework.

maybe you can give me advice.

I prefer Zend Framework because it's more flexible and it's extremely easy to add additional classes as well as extend functionality of existing classes. Those things appeal to me.

they say Zend is better.

but i notice often there are projects under phpcake.

There are a lot of sites using Zend Framework as well. Check out some of the case studies for instance. Furthermore, ZF has partnerships with large companies such as IBM, Google and Microsoft as well.

As others have suggested, it depends on the scope of the project. If I have multiple sites that I need to pump out quickly, I like to set up a framework to do the dirty work for me on each, but I very seldom use one. I have recently begun researching Symfony, and I do believe it is quickly overtaking CakePHP in my personal use. For 90% of the time, though, I follow the same pattern the other experienced ones have mentioned: I have a library of classes I pull from for the core, but overall, no framework is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have many of my own (easily portable) classes that I've built over the years that I use on all my applications.

I'm always updating them aswell. And I'm making them even more portable. As for some classes I make administration scripts with them so that I can even distribute them if I wish in the future. But I've not done that yet.

• 3 weeks later...

always use custom framework, most of these fgrameworks are dangerouse for you if u are making large applications wich will live for a long time, rember most frameworks are GNU they could stop working tommorow. Most frameworks are very silly but inovative like the JQUERY they make another language using strings. Most frameworks will not work how you would like them to across the board, they are a quick fix for novice's, advanced programmers compile a framework or methodology of framework or repositories.

I guess I would have to disagree there. Where would Java programmers be without Struts?

I think I'd only be weary about adopting a framework in to my site if it were incomplete and I had planned on improvements. Since PHP isn't compiled, if there were ever problems it'd be simple to fix.

That said, I don't use frameworks as I don't generally write PHP code with a usable UI. That said, I generally write my own to accomplish my very specific needs. The frameworks I tend to write focus on accomplishing tasks and little else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.