7 replies to this topic

#1 freakus_maximus

freakus_maximus
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

I just downloaded the newest yahoo toolbar which has a tab display for webpages (guess they are trying to trump microsoft on ie 7...lol). Each tab has an icon on it. I'm guesssing (since I dont have firefox) that this the same with that browsers tabs as well.

But how do I do that for my clients websites? Right now it just passes a generic looking page icon.

For instance, Yahoo shows with their "Y" logo and phpfreaks displays the phpfreaks logo.

Does anyone know how this is done?

#2 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

Sounds like you're looking for a favicon - Google will get you the actual info you need.
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#3 freakus_maximus

freakus_maximus
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

[!--quoteo(post=370588:date=May 2 2006, 11:41 AM:name=AndyB)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AndyB @ May 2 2006, 11:41 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Sounds like you're looking for a favicon - Google will get you the actual info you need.
[/quote]

Thanks Andy! I would have googled first if I knew what to google. lol.

#4 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

In case this is any use ... at [a href=\"http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/[/a] you can generate a favicon in the right format/size from any image on your computer. Also useful is IrfanView from [a href=\"http://www.irfanview.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.irfanview.com[/a] which offers an image save as .ico (as well as a ton of other useful stuff), and it's free of course.
My site

#5 freakus_maximus

freakus_maximus
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm...I added this per a few websites I found...

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

I added it to the <head> section of the page.

Doesnt seem to want to work. I even added the temp page as a favorite, cleared my chache...still shows the IE icon.

And yes, I have an icon which I created per specs and uploaded it. No problems there. I can see the icon in my favorites next to the entry, but not in the address bar or the tab.

What's really weird, and what I am trying to figure out, is I went to a site I was never at www.bellsouth.net and they had an icon that loaded right on the tab and in the address bar...and I certainly didnt add this as a favorite.

So how is that done? Any other ideas?

#6 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Favicons are touchy things.

Try a couple of things.

#1 - browse to the site with your new favicon using Firefox as that seems favicon-friendlier

#2 - try deleting the bookmark, forcibly clear your browser cache, go back to the page and bookmark it again. Now open a new browser window and choose the site by clicking the bookmark you made.

Everything you've got looks right, although I don't usually bother with the type attribute.
My site

#7 bradcis

bradcis
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

When I want a little image/logo to be displayed next to the address bar on my websites, I just create an image and save it as "favicon.ico" (without quotes). Then I upload it to my root-account folder (w/ cpanel it would be public_html/). Perhaps try this? =)

#8 freakus_maximus

freakus_maximus
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:28 PM

[!--quoteo(post=370697:date=May 2 2006, 04:47 PM:name=bradcis)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(bradcis @ May 2 2006, 04:47 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
When I want a little image/logo to be displayed next to the address bar on my websites, I just create an image and save it as "favicon.ico" (without quotes). Then I upload it to my root-account folder (w/ cpanel it would be public_html/). Perhaps try this? =)
[/quote]

Saving it as a favorite works fine, but what I am talking about now is when you go to a site and is not in your favorites, somehow they are still able to have the icon appear in the browser address bar and on a tab.

I went to several sites that I know I do not have bookmarked at all and they all had their repsective icons appear in the address bar and on the tab. That is what I am trying to figure out. All the google searches return info about doing the favicon and saving it as a favorite, which is similar, but not what I am referring to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users