final post

Ninjakreborn

just wanted to think everyone on the board so far. You have been of great help some especially. You have helped me realize my potential, and frankly learn php and mysql. I however keep getting criticized and made fun of simply because I have a passion for what I do, thanks for the people who gave me advice and helped me along.

I'm not critcizing you. (and I know you're talking about me) I'm also not making fun of you. Some of your questions have been fairly basic. Ask a pointed question and we can help. And don't get all in a huff and leave. Grow a tougher skin.

If you thought I was rough on you, good freakin luck with your business.

No, I was messing up at the first, I was misposting, I was posting about topics I shouldn't and in places that were incorrect. I had a lot of bad comments at first, then I rethought the way I posted, I posted more carefully, only on stuff I really couldn't find anywhere else, I tried helping other people so I was giving something back, and I also tried posting in the right places for what I had to post about, even after all that thought and redoing, Alot of people on here have still had bad comments to say, and stuff to say, you have helped me a lot, and frankly your website is nice, I was looking at it earlier, but I asked this question to get advice, and instead you insulted me by saying I was 10 years old, just because I was asking not really for help, but more for advice on how to develop something. I am 22, I am in the mindset to learn everything about web site design, programming and coding I can, and make something of a business. I wasn't expecting because I have a childish view on web design to be called 10. I am far more mature when it comes to web design, adn I take it a lot more "maturely" than a 10 year old.

Well I apologize for calling you "10"... but if you have spent any amount of time working with websites and searching the web for common practices, I'd think you'd come to the conclusion that there is no "one good way" to come up with a plan for a website. All come in different shapes and sizes with different needs. And there's no good way to be taught HOW to do all those different designs other than to look at other people's code and practice.

I am sorry if I offended you, but sometimes people need that. I had to get slammed down a few times before I realized that I had to do a ton of research on my own to really get what I want. You can't let some turd like me ruffle your feathers. If I did that, I probably would have quit programming back in college. I'm just some guy on the internet spouting off at the fingertips. Who gives a flying F what I think? Far too many people on here do (and I mean if more than 1 does, that's far too many) and once you get past all that and realize that I'm a far bigger goof and less talented than most of you, you'll be better off.

Honestly, the only way to get what you want is to rummage through a bunch of sites, look at their source and try to reverse-engineer what they did. That's how I learned.

I don't know that my list is all that important, but since you asked:

C, VB 6, eMbedded VB, XHTML, CSS, PHP, Assembly (Intel 8085 and a few Motorola specific versions), Javascript, Pascal, Java, and I understand the basics of C#. I've also dabbled a little in Perl and I've looked over a fair amount of .NET stuff, but I personally find it to be a very bloated way to work, hence my work in PHP instead of ASP.NET. You can also throw SQL in there since half of my current job is database work. I've also played with XML a little here and there and it probably wouldn't be much of a leap for me to jump into C++. I've also used a handful of 4th level languages with packages from MTS and D2T and a CAN protocol simulator language.

Really, once you get a few languages under your belt, it's nothing more than minor syntax changes between different languages.

[!--quoteo(post=370691:date=May 2 2006, 09:17 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ May 2 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]370691[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I had to get slammed down a few times before I realized that I had to do a ton of research on my own to really get what I want
[/quote]

"You have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry."

businessman - you've definitely shown the passion to learn, and for that you cannot be faulted. my only common suggestion, along with many others, has been that you can't actually learn properly without actually getting stuck in. Screw the learning for now - try it out. Knowledge is best, IMO, learnt in stages. Once you've learnt all there is to know, it wont take long before youre bored and looking for something else, in which case you've wasted all your time.

ober is right also - once you have one or two languages under your belt (which you already have), the others really arent that hard at all if you remember the basic principles, etc. I personally learnt BASIC on a rubber-keyed ZX Spectrum typing crap out of books. I learnt Pascal at college with a bit of C++, and never got into web stuff until about a year and half ago. There's a reason why you see the 'Hello World' script all over the place - simply cos it's the best and most common starting point for any language you learn. Don't overcomplicate things. In the short time I've been coding, succeeding and failing, I've picked up some pretty good projects that have all been delivered without any issues whatsoever. Had i not just got stuck in though, I don't think i could honestly say i would have been able to pull them off.

Take it on the chin, as you'll quickly realise that the not-so-nicey-nicey comments by chaps like ober are actually the most helpful.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks I appreciaet I did stop studying and started building the website for now. I am also teaming for the most part, or partially with a programmer from lamp geeks. Later on, someone on this form called grim, I will be working with him on some teaming for a couple of sites helping me learn faster.

Just make sure your "teamwork" doesn't turn into "hey, I don't know how to do x, so you do that part". At that point, you're not learning anything, just adjusting what's already in your toolbox.

• 1 month later...
I will make sure I am thinking of waiting on teaming to, someone wants me to build something like mapquest [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":huh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"huh.gif\" /]
I have no idea how to set up a map program:S

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.