website

I don't want to get off on the wrong track, last time I asked for criticism it helped, so I am wanting to keep up with it some as I go, I am worried, does this image, look pixelated or bad. I don't want to build my entire website and find out at the end that the logo sucks because that is what I am building my entire website around.
[a href=\"http://www.freelancebusinessman.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.freelancebusinessman.com[/a]

It doesn't look all that pixelated... but to say it's boring would be an understatement. The trick is to make it visually appealing but add your name to it. You said you looked at my website... that's the kind of idea I'd push you towards.

Thanks I will be doing something different with it then, I will be posting on here alot throughout the building, but I will try to use this same post as long as possible. After awhile I will start another, but I am going to try something more along those types of lines now. Thanks.

Umm, you're in to the "ms paint" style of things here. Doing grahics for a site can quite hard. You dont have to be a pro at doing grahical images in Photoshop/fireworks. You easily come up with something in a few minutes by playing with gradiants and effects.

Also I think [a href=\"http://www.devdreams.com/webmaster-tutorials/photoshop/high-tech-layout-complete\" target=\"_blank\"]this[/a] might be good for you as it teaches you how to create simple layout in Photoshop which is clean and professional.

If you are going to do a grahical design for your site always do it in a photo/image manipilation software such as Photshop or Fireworks first. Then cut it up and apply the cut up images into your site.

how is it now .
www.freelancebusinessman.com
I redid an entire photo I found off a free site, that had no restrictions on usage. I put in the name, and a line I came up with. Then when I stretch it, it looked really bad
I tried doing a
imagecreate()
and setting it up that way, but it looked wierd.
So I decided on moving it over in the corner, and trying something completely different afterwards with my navigational structure I am working on that now, does it look better.

Blue text on a black background... not my first choice. And fire usually isn't associated with computers or programming. You might want to find a picture that represents what you're doing (random people sitting at a computer... something involving a computer... artistic shot of a keyboard... something along those lines). And if you're going to use a black background, use white text.

I redid the entire thing so far, I was looking for more feedback when people had time. I also wanted some ideas.
I am thinking of doing a navigation at the top with just like 4-5 of my main pages, with buttons. Have them done in mostly css and xhtml to avoid javascript problems. Then have the images set to preload.
I am going to try something different on the top right hand corner, I also was thinking of 3 navigational structures.
One at the top like I said with image rollovers, probably in css/javascript/xhtml.
One on the left hand side, regular text, and have them try to match the rest of the site.
and one at the bottom, with just like 3-4 main pages, on the left will contain links to all my pages, but the top and bottom links will only have the most important. I am thinking of creating the top button links in flash. Because with the text links on the left, and important links on the bottom, search engines won't have a problem finding the links on my site. THe flash might allow it to stand out better, but to avoid me having to redo my flash file every time I add new pages I will just have my 3-4-5 MAIN webpages put at the top with flash. I don't know i will work on all this tomorrow, any ideas as for the new pictures would be greatly appreciated, it took almost 4 hours to figure out how to wrap text properly with photoshop cs2.

ok i'm assuming i'm not seeing the same as what others did yesterday, as all i can see is a picture of a CD and a couple of buildings. so going by what was said:

1, sod photoshop and fireworks for now. get a pen and paper and draw it. i'm sure you've heard all the stuff about the left/right side of your brain - designing something (creativity) with something you're rusty with like photoshop (technical) will just hamper your progress. your left hand and right hand side of the brain work very badly together in unison - so dont try learning and being creative at the same time. it wont work, even if youre really special.

2, planning your entire site around a logo IMO is a very very very bad idea. ok, so maybe the colourscheme, etc, is ok, but otherwise - nope.

3, whilst it's a showcase for your skills, i feel that trying to use everything you possibly know is a bad idea. as with everything creative - painting, writing music, web design, etc, - you need to add things that are necessary to the feel of things. the problem with 90's sites was that people tried to use everything - all the fonts, all the colours, all the animated gifs (GRR), all the retro backgrounds, stats and sitecounters, etc,etc. keep it simple.

first thing i ever work on on a site is the colour scheme. sod the pictures, they can be easily rectified later, but the colours will set the mood and feel. i'll literally spend days on a site layout, just drawing things and throwing things together and moving things around, etc, etc, before i even consider putting javascript/php/html into it. pick 4 or 5 colours that work well together, set up your CSS, and built it around that instead.

cheers
Mark

I'd say you took a step back with the latest version of the logo. Buildings and cds don't go together, and you just have 2 blocks up there... it needs to be fluid.

I'd also drop the idea of using flash. IMO, flash for nav is a bloated and unnecessary option. I quickly found out the other day that flash is used for the dumbest and smallest parts of some sites. When you don't have flash installed or it's not working, it shouldn't hamper me from using your site.

I will rethink some things. I will try and see what I can come up with a logo, and see what I can do to work somethings out.
I don't believe in some things, as using flash for entire websites. But there are a lot of clients out there that like the idea of "flash intro's" about links, I am not sure, I get annoyed to when I have to wait for quick time to pop up completely before all the links pop in there, so I think I will try something different.

That's why I am having such a difficult problem here. I have worked for clients in the past never had this problem, by the third try I had a logo, background color, and basic layout they liked. But with me, maybe it will help if I look at it like I am working for a client. I never encounter these kind of problems unless I am building them for myself, I have built them in the past, just basic Xhtml/css before I learn php, sql, javascript.

How does it look now
www.freelancebusinessman.com
I redid the logo, but can't get what I am trying to figure out to work, I am trying to set an old looking page as a background for the div tag with the main text, but I don't think it's possible I set it, but it doesn't stretch to match the words, I can't resize the image that much or it explodes, I am going to try something else, how does the logo look now though.

you need to just slow down and think it through. You've posted about 5 different things within a few hours looking for a critique. Spend a little time on something first and then post back. Anything that you throw together in a couple minutes is probably not going to be that great.

what do you mean by cd.
What do you suggest as a "logo" because I see a lot of people use a lot of different things. Some people just use pictures, some people have words, what is a good definition of what is defined as "good" and "bad". I am thinking of a few ideas. I am no graphic designer, so it's hard for me to put those ideas into action, I am also about to take that idea, about getting a piece of paper, and a pencil, and creating a basic layout, and try to go from there. But I am still confused on the basic stepping stones. Those are the weak points I still have, I am trying to figure out, I have built websites before. For clients, not many but a few, and overall they seem to come together well, I know for one, when I looked at myself, I am weak in css, I thought I was better than that at css, so I was reevaluating some material on css, I was having difficulty doing something so simple as putting a picture into a div tag, and have the text look like it's being put onto the backgroundimage. I am readoing my css training some, then I am going to sit down with some paper, come up with a theme, and what other elements I am going to try and work with see, what all I can creaet.

and about the last post maybe I should sit around and thinka bout what I am going to do, it's easier for a client. But I need to create a plan, and try to build it after that, I will try and start on that today.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.