Open source editor

hrm, i cant find where to edit my post but i figured out its Drupal(thanks to phpfreaks search) but it came downloaded as a .tar.gz which i know is created on a Unix/linux machine.  Is there a zip program that will unarchive this file?  I tried 7-zip;however, it cannot unpack the files.  I also dont want to pay the 30 or 50 bucks for winzip.

ok thanks, looks like i got alot to learn.  I really hate when i'm thrown into an interview for a position i have absolutly no qualifications for and basically told its a formality and that they are making me do the job.  I guess thats what happens when a top ranked IT guy in the city basically says he wants you working on the project. 

Next question, how easy is Drupal, PHP, APPACHE to learn?  i've used oracle 10g so i figure the mysql part will be a breeze, however i have never used drupal, php or appache.  Are there any really good video tutorials out there?  i see there are tutorials on the website, but i'm more of a visual learner.

if you don't have a web server search for a copy of WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP)

it's a small program you can install and have an Apache server running on your desktop

(If you're not on windows then I'll leave you to figure it out, not to difficult with the help of good ol' google)

and install Drupal on it,

for tutorials try google video, or the Drupal forum's it's a rather popular CMS so there should be plenty of stuff, though being a hands on learner my approach would be to install WAMP and start playing

it's designed to be simple to use, not quite Wordpress easy but not to far off

I really hate when i'm thrown into an interview for a position i have absolutly no qualifications for and basically told its a formality and that they are making me do the job.  I guess thats what happens when a top ranked IT guy in the city basically says he wants you working on the project.

Slightly off topic, but 'top ranked' by whom - or is this the punch line from a Dilbert cartoon.

Good luck with your learning curve.

dilbert.gif

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.