Connecting to a db on a local server

harlequin2k6

I have recently installed a server here at the office for general file sharing and a centralized database

I believe it's been setup as a lamp system - I know it has linux and mysql on it

our website is currently being hosted by an outside company (which is how I prefer to do it)

if I want to use a browser to access the database - which was the primary reason I went this route as opposed to designing a vb front end - I have the local ip obviously and I have the isp ip

my first question is - where do my web pages get stored on the server and if I want for users in the office and out in the field to be able to connect do I use the isp ip with the appropriate port #?

if I'm not making sense I apologize - this was a project that was thrown in my lap and as much as I kicked and screamed I was told to "figger it out"

I have very little experience with php and even less experience with server administration

any help is very greatly appreciated

I'm no expert, but I accessed/connected to databases on my own server and others. When I access my own I use "localhost", but when I use the other offsite it is the IP address. The rest of the connection info is the same....

My suggestion to you is to use the IP address only, so that it can be accessed by both onsite and offsite users.

[!--quoteo(post=371042:date=May 3 2006, 01:03 PM:name=harlequin2k6)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(harlequin2k6 @ May 3 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]371042[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I have recently installed a server here at the office for general file sharing and a centralized database

I believe it's been setup as a lamp system - I know it has linux and mysql on it

our website is currently being hosted by an outside company (which is how I prefer to do it)

if I want to use a browser to access the database - which was the primary reason I went this route as opposed to designing a vb front end - I have the local ip obviously and I have the isp ip

my first question is - where do my web pages get stored on the server and if I want for users in the office and out in the field to be able to connect do I use the isp ip with the appropriate port #?

if I'm not making sense I apologize - this was a project that was thrown in my lap and as much as I kicked and screamed I was told to "figger it out"

I have very little experience with php and even less experience with server administration

any help is very greatly appreciated
[/quote]

So what you want to do is access the REMOTE database on a LOCAL machine? You can set up something like phpMyAdmin on the LOCAL machine and configure it to access the REMOTE machine if the LOCAL machine can access the Internet.

As for where the webpages are served would be where Apache has the htdocs set up. Most of the time the configure file is /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf - There are two lines that store where the files are served from. Most of the time its /var/www/html/

If you want people on the outside to be able to access this LOCAL server you need a router to port forward the request to your LOCAL server.

If I am totally track with what you want to do I am sorry.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.