Email addresses stored in a MySQL database

Teds455

Hello-

I'm looking for help on the above topic. I created a php script to go into a MySQL database, and send a message out to the stored email addresses of individuals meeting certain criteria. The problem I'm encountering is that as the first email is going out fine, then the second address in the database also gets the first one's info, the third both the second and first, and so on. I just want the code to generate 1 email at a time for all users, and I'm stuck on this... I've pasted the code below.

<?

$connection = @mysql_connect("db.xxxxxx.com", "user_name", "password") or die("Couldn't connect.");

$db = mysql_select_db("user_name", $connection) or die("Couldn't select database.");

$sql = "SELECT * FROM test_email";

$sql_result = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die ("Couldn't execute.");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql_result)) {

$id = $row["id"];
$email = $row["email"];
$name = $row["name"];
// email below
$msg .= "This is an automated email message to User:\t$name.\n\n";

$msg .= "Hello $name, how are you today?\n\n";

$mailheaders = "From: me@mine.com\n";

$mailheaders .= "Reply-To: me@mine.com";

mail($email, "Test Auto Email", $msg, $mailheaders);
echo "$id \t $email \t $name <p>";
}
?>

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ted

i THINK your problem is one simple little dot

$msg [b][!--coloro:red--][span style=\"color:red\"][!--/coloro--].[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--][/b]= "This is an automated email message to User:\t$name.\n\n";

should be

$msg = "This is an automated email message to User:\t$name.\n\n";

(only on the first one, not all of them) cuz for each iteration of the while loop, you are continually concactinating the $msg var meaning it's just adding on the new stuff to the old stuff. if you take off the first " . " it re-inilitializes the variable.

Crayon Violent-

You are an absolute genius!!

I know it was a simple problem, but how incredibly frustrating! I've been pushing back the expiration dates for these "broadcast emails" to be generated because I couldn't find info on this topic. After posting it on phpfreaks, you came up with the solution. Thanks!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.