SHOW TABLES WHERE...

Xeoncross

I can run the following and get ALL tables from a database:

SHOW OPEN TABLES

But when I try to limit the tables to ONLY those with a "cms_* prefix I don't know the SQL stantaz to do that. I don't even know if it is possible!  :P

SHOW OPEN TABLES WHERE `table` LIKE 'cms_%'

So you haven't even tried SHOW OPEN TABLES WHERE `table` LIKE 'cms_%'?

Yes, I tried it  ;D Why would I waste my time asking a question about something I can test in 3 seconds?

In the above query you will notice the "`table`" keyword is used. I think that one of the main problems with this statement is that '`table`' is the wrong name for the comparison I am using. What would MySQL call a "table" when doing a LIKE test? "NAME"? "VALUE"? "TABLE NAME"?

I just tested what you posted above and it works fine for me. `table` is fine because it is in slanty quotes so MySQL knows to treat it as a column name.

If you need to limit it to one database then you'll need to add another clause to the end, something like:

AND `database`='dbname'

BTW a good way of working this sort of thing out is looking at the general query without clauses, ie "SHOW OPEN TABLES". I ran this is phpmyadmin and it brought back 4 columns: Database, Table, In_use and Name_locked. These can be used just like any other DB column. You can simply add WHERE clauses to the base query to be more specific.

I just tested what you posted above and it works fine for me. `table` is fine because it is in slanty quotes so MySQL knows to treat it as a column name.

First, It is not a column name I want - it is a table name. Columns have nothing to do with my question. Second, the query doesn't work on my server, so if you changed anything to get it to work let me know.

ERROR:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE `table` LIKE 'cms_%'' at line 1

BTW a good way of working this sort of thing out is looking at the general query without clauses, ie "SHOW OPEN TABLES". I ran this is phpmyadmin and it brought back 4 columns: Database, Table, In_use and Name_locked.

I already said twice that "SHOW OPEN TABLES" (no temp tables) and "SHOW TABLES" (all tables) both work - They are built into MYSQL. My question is how to LIMIT the tables so that Temp tables and tables without a 'cms_' prefix DON'T show up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.