Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhrups

need to add up rows

Hi, i am trying to add up the total for my code.
i have used the following code to multiply price with quantity and display it as total. I am not storing the values in total on the database.
I need to add the total up. ie. i have 2 rows with to different totals, for e.g total
final Total:
i want ti fill in that final total.

<?php //start of php coding and running mySQL queries.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM accessories ORDER BY category");
$row = mysql_numrows($result);

$i=0;
while ($i < $row)

{
$Category = mysql_result($result,$i,"category");
$Description = mysql_result($result,$i,"description");
$Price = mysql_result($result,$i,"price");
$Quantity = mysql_result($result,$i,"quantity");

$Total = ($Price * $Quantity);

?>

<tr>
<td width="154" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $Category; ?></font>&nbsp;</td>
<td width="321" align="left" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $Description; ?></font></b>&nbsp;</td>
<td width="157" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($Price, 2); ?></font>&nbsp;</td>
<td width="104" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $Quantity; ?></font>&nbsp;</td>
<td width="159" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($Total, 2); ?></font></b>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>

<?
$i++;
}
?>

</tr>

try this out

[code]<?php //start of php coding and running mySQL queries.
$Total = 0;
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM accessories ORDER BY category");
$row = mysql_num_rows($result);

if($row > 1){
while($r = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
// This extract the fields and puts them as variables so you can use $price instead or $r['price']
extract($r);
// Create the subtotal
$SubTotal = ($price * $quantity);
?>
<tr>
<td width="154" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $category; ?></font> </td>
<td width="321" align="left" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $description; ?></font></b> </td>
<td width="157" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($price, 2); ?></font> </td>
<td width="104" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $quantity; ?></font> </td>
<td width="159" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($SubTotal, 2); ?></font></b> </td>
</tr>
<?
// start adding up the subtotals, each time it loops it will add the $SubTotal to the running $Total
$Total += $SubTotal;
}
}
?>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan=5 align="right" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($Total, 2); ?></font></b> </td>
</tr>
</table>[/code]

Ray

Didn't you ask this once before or am I remembering a very similar question?

Let's tighten up your code and try to fix your problem:
[code]<?php
$query = "SELECT * FROM accessories ORDER BY category";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Problem with the query: $query <br>" . mysql_error());
// $row = mysql_numrows($result); // don't need this line, besides the function is called mysql_num_rows()
$Total = 0;
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) { // loop through the retrieved rows
{
     $Category = $_row['category'];
     $Description = $_row['description'];
     $Price = $row['price'];
     $Quantity = $row['quantity'];
     $Total += $Price * $Quantity; // The += operator says to add the result to the variable on the left side of the equation. It is equivalent to $Total = $Total + ($Price * $Quantity);
?>

<tr>
Helvetica, sans-serif">
<td width="321" align="left" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $Description; ?></font></b>&nbsp;</td>
<td width="157" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($Price, 2); ?></font>&nbsp;</td>
<td width="104" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo $Quantity; ?></font>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<?
}
?>
<td width="159" align="center" style="border-style: solid; border-width: 1"><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><? echo number_format($Total, 2); ?></font></b>&nbsp;</td>
[/code]
I also move the output of the $Total to after your loop.

Ken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.